Running Forward and Looking Back

AUTHOR'S NOTE:
Date 4-2-17

This is the final chapter everyone! I'm so glad that I decided to start this story, and I absolutely loved writing it.

A big thanks to everyone who read, voted, and commented on this story. It really means a lot to me.

Thank you to the ones who cheered me on. My best friends Bailey, Miley, and Tori were a big help with encouraging words, along with all of my followers.

But this chapter is dedicated to my Nana who's currently reading this story. Every time we talk she praises my work, saying that I will make it far with my stories one day. Thank you so much Nana! I love you :)

I was very reluctant to finish The Wolves of Cain, but I did it.

This chapter is longer than any other in this story because it's the last. You're welcome! :)

-------------------------------------

Chapter 67: Running Forward and Looking Back

The night of the full moon arrives faster than anyone is ready for. But no one admits that out loud.

Mason tells himself that he's fine with being human. But really, Mason isn't sure.

He doesn't miss the control issues that were going on, or the constant fighting every night with vine girl.

But Mason does miss being in the loop. He had been part of the center of the supernatural situation. Now no one will talk about anything that isn't mundane around him. To sum it all up, it sucks.

~*~

Once again, Ivie did not leave her room that night after falling into bed. She slept like she has for weeks, full of dreams of being vine girl. It seems like there's a new memory to remember every night.

But this time Ivie gets a sense of how vine girl controls the vines.

Ivie wakes up the next morning and remembers the weird feeling she got in the dream, the feeling that she was filled with hidden power. She just needs to unlock it.

So Ivie lets that feeling overwhelm her, pulling on the spark of magic she senses in her veins. Ivie opens her blue eyes that are identical to Lena's.

Ivie doesn't want to hurt anyone, but she has to figure out what she can do. Ivie needs to know if she can control her powers. So she tries.

Ivie wills vines to her, following the feeling she got in the dream. Ivie has no clue where the vines come from, but she assumes that whatever magic inside of her creates them.

Ivie knows it's working when there's a surge of power throughout her. So Ivie pushes on, wanting the vines to come faster.

Then Ivie hits a mental barrier that she feels is blocking the vines. What the...?

Ivie looks around in confusion. No one is in the room to ruin her concentration. So what could it be?

Ivie shoves at the barrier, much harder this time. There's a crack and a shattering noise. With a yelp of surprise, Ivie lands on the floor in protection mode, hands covering her head.

Ivie doesn't dare move from her frightened crouch on the floor until she hears her door fling open.

The first thing Lena sees when she rushes in a minute later is Ivie staring at her from the floor with wide eyes.

Lena's gaze travels to the broken window which was the cause of all the ruckus. "Ivie?" Is all Lena says, demanding an explanation.

"The window broke." Ivie answers lamely. She's always been an awful liar, so she goes with the obvious. Bad choice.