Dizzy Times and a Shocking Crisis

A/N:
Released on February 14, 2017

Edited on September 9, 2018

Word Count: 1824

-----

Chapter 7: Dizzy Times and a Shocking Crisis

Vanessa is disappointed when the slow song ends, wishing she could keep dancing with John. It was nice while it lasted. He seems to think the same thing because he doesn't let go of her.

She opens her mouth to say something, not knowing what yet, but John suddenly spins her out to the time of the music.

Before Vanessa can blink, John is directing her with his steps and they're dancing better than anyone in the building. She lets out a small laugh of joy when he pulls her close again.

"How-?" Vanessa starts to ask, but John jumps in.

"I'm a dancer. It's what I'm good at." He shrugs like it's no big deal.

"Of course! You're a natural!" Vanessa compliments. He smiles back at her, only half of his mouth turned up and his chin bent down a little so he's looking at her through his eyelashes.

Vanessa smiles in full and just barely catches herself from laughing again. "That was amazing. Thank you."

"Anytime." John responds a bit shyly. Vanessa's trying to figure out what to say next when he speaks up.

"Would you like to hang out sometime?" He stares right into her eyes, causing her to nod as her blonde hair falls in her face.

John's still close to her, so he reaches out and pushes the stray hair back behind her ear. When he starts to pull his hand away, Vanessa reaches up and holds it there.

He stares down into her eyes, as light and clear blue as the ocean, the opposite of his deep blue eyes. She lets go of John's hand and it stays there for a moment. Then he drops his hand back to his side.

"Yes, I'd like to hang out with you." She answers the question that John forgot he even asked. She pulls out her phone and says, "Here, let's trade numbers."

After John leaves, Ivie and Selynn come over to Vanessa. Selynn neglects to tell her about the world spinning, crazy feeling thing that occurred.

Ivie asks Vanessa about what happened with John and she said it went fine. She knows that Ivie wasn't as happy as she should be, so she decides to keep boy talk to a minimum.

~*~

"Thanks for the dance, Lucas." Lena tells him once the song finished and they separated.

"No problem. I wouldn't want a pretty girl like you to be alone." Lucas smiles in what he thinks is cute and teasing, but he's stunned by his own actions. 

How did he say that? He's never been the type of guy to just tell a girl how he feels. What's changed?

"Oh, thanks." Lena says, not missing a beat. She looks straight into his eyes, not acting like any other girl he's met before.

The only girl who ever looks Lucas in the eye for more than a second is Jerica, and that's to show him that she's not backing down.

"So... you saw Jerica ditch me?" Lena's tone is slightly accusatory but her eyes are telling Lucas that she's only teasing him.

He plays along and rolls his eyes in irritation at the mention of Jerica. "Yeah, she's always on the phone with Alex."

Lena frowns and asks, "How did you know it was Alex?"