Situation Stalker

Date: 2-23-17

Chapter 27: Situation Stalker

Lucas goes home with a few more answers than when he left, but Lucas still wants to know more. Adrian mysterious, but he is a mystery for another day.

"Where have you been?" Mason demands to know as soon as Lucas opens the front door.

"Out." Lucas says vaguely. Lucas knows he needs to tell Mason everything that he learned, but Lucas needs to sit down first. He just wants to relax.

Mason follows Lucas impatiently to the living room. When Lucas flops down onto the couch, Mason immediately gives Lucas a pointed look.

"I went to Adrian's house." Lucas says, which causes Mason to smile hopefully. He wants answers as much as Lucas does. "I didn't talk to Adrian though." Lucas adds quickly, and Mason frowns at that.

"But I did talk to Monique." Lucas says, observing Mason's face closely to see any emotion. It would be easier if Lucas could feel Mason's emotions, but according to Monique, Lucas can't do that until after his first shift.

"What did you talk about? What did she say?" Mason asks with obvious excitement.

So Lucas goes on to tell Mason about all of the things Monique said. When Lucas believes he's covered everything, he stops and waits for Mason to say something.

~*~

Back at Adrian and Monique's house...

Monique turns and walks inside the house, leaving Lucas on the lawn. Monique goes into the kitchen, pretending to get a drink to stall. Monique waits a few minutes, acting normal, until Adrian speaks up.

"He's gone." Adrian tells Monique from where he's suddenly standing in the kitchen doorway. Adrian's face is serious, which is usually not a good sign. He knows something is up.

"Someone was watching while I was speaking with Lucas." Monique gestures out the window to the yard, where only five minutes ago she was standing there.

"I know." Adrian says gravely. Monique doesn't question this. She trusts Adrian this time in this situation.

"Why can't we be left alone?" Adrian shouts in frustration, slamming his fist into the wall. Not hard enough to crack, but enough to break a normal person's hand. Adrian just pops his knuckles and he's fine.

"Do you think it's the person who's been following us?" Monique asks. She is hoping desperately that it's not the case.

"Possibly." Adrian growls out. "They need to give up! It's been a year!" Adrian looks like he's about to hit something else. Monique doesn't worry about herself because Adrian would never hit her in anger, but she fears for the house.

Monique hates having to make up explanations when someone has to come repair the wall. It's happened multiple times.

"Usually it takes them awhile to find us though. It takes them months." Monique says, trying to convince herself that it isn't their regular stalker.

"It isn't them." Monique announces determinedly. She quickly goes over everything they know about the stalker. They've never seen the person face to face, but they've seen glimpses. Plus Adrian can sense anyone who watches him.

Monique suspects that it could be an old enemy of Adrian's, but he swears that he doesn't have any enemies. He's killed them all.

"If it's not them, then who is it?" Adrian questions out loud, not really asking Monique and not expecting an answer. They've come up with multiple variations of the same questions over the year that they've been followed. There's never an answer.

"Have you sensed any other supernaturals in this town?" Monique suddenly asks.

Adrian has a dark look on his face. Monique's pretty sure it's hatred for whoever is doing this. "No. I haven't exactly been around town. I've mostly been in the woods hunting that girl Ivie, or I've been here thinking."

"I'm staying here." Monique announces. When Adrian gives her an odd look, Monique explains.

"If it is the one who's been watching us, then I'm still staying here. I'm sick of running. That hasn't worked." Monique tells Adrian.

Adrian grins at Monique. "I've been waiting for you to say that for awhile." Monique doesn't smile because she's not happy.

"I don't think it's them." Monique repeats to Adrian.

"I'll talk with the wolf twins and see if anyone's been suspicious or weird." Adrian tells Monique.

"Like another supernatural?" Monique comments with an eye roll.

"Exactly." Adrian says while narrowing his eyes at Monique. She knows it's a silent warning to back off, but Monique also knows that Adrian isn't really mad at her.

~*~

"So why didn't I shift?" Mason asks after Lucas told him what Monique said. "I wasn't being attacked by Ivie."

"I don't know." Lucas says with a shrug. "Maybe everyone reacts differently to becoming a werewolf."

"Why didn't you ask Monique?" Mason questions, his face turning red with sudden anger.

It hadn't occurred to Lucas to ask about Mason. Honestly, it feels like the full moon was years ago and Lucas didn't even remember that Mason wasn't there.

"I-" Lucas tries to say, but Mason interrupts him and stands up from the couch.

"You know what? No!" Mason storms out of the room.

Lucas can't believe his twin brother. How could they even be related when they are both very different people? And Jerica... Well she's an oddball too. How could any of them be related?

"Genetics work in weird ways." Lucas muses aloud. Then he decides to text Lena to make himself feel better.

"Are you busy?" Lucas texts Lena.

"Not at the moment." Lena replies immediately. She must have her phone glued to her hand. Lucas smiles at that thought.

"I need to tell you something. It's not bad." Lucas texts back vaguely.

"Now?" Lena answers after a minute.

"Yes, now. Come over? Just us two in the backyard away from Jerica." Lucas says the last part because he knows Jerica and Lena are still fighting. If they weren't, Jerica would be over at Lena's house right now.

"Okay. 15 mins." Lucas grins at the text. Lucas will tell Lena what Monique said, but really Lucas just wants to see Lena.

Lucas has been confused and uncertain for weeks, but with Lena, everything is crystal clear. Lucas really likes Lena, and he's going to tell her that when she gets here.