Shifting Memories

Date: 3-9-17

Chapter 46: Shifting Memories

"So what do you need me to do?" John asks Adrian bitterly, sneaking glances at everyone else in the room.

"I need a spell to fix help Ivie fix herself. I told you that." Adrian says with an eyeroll. Adrian is trying really hard not to snap for Ivie's benefit. He wants her to like him.

"I don't know how to do that." John admits, getting frustrated very easily. This whole situation is screaming "DANGER!!!" at John.

His nerves are making his veins feel as if they're vibrating, about to explode. John feels his magic simmer at his fingertips. This isnt good.

"That's why I gave you time to think about it. Haven't you thought of something? Anything?" Adrian asks intently.

"I couldn't think of anything that doesn't include dark magic." John tries to explain, but knowing it's futile.

"Explain again why you can't just use dark magic?" Jerica questions from her perch on the couch.

John turns to Jerica with a sigh. "Because. Dark magic is for dark magic users. That's not me."

Then because John knows Jerica will just ask another question, he continues talking. "If I try to use dark magic I could lose control and end up killing all of us."

Jerica scoffs like John is lying or exaggerating. John glares at her in response. "Aren't you supposed to be the most powerfully Spellcaster?" Jerica says condescendingly.

"Second most powerful." Adrian corrects Jerica. Instead of saying something awful to Adrian for correcting her, Jerica just sent him a sugary sweet smile.

Lucas can't believe her. He already warned her about the flirting once. And she's still giving Adrian special treatment. When Lucas corrects Jerica she goes crazy with anger.

"It doesn't matter how powerful I may or may not be." John replies. "I'm not a dark magic user. That's the biggest rule our kind has: Do not use dark magic."

"Fine, fine. No dark magic." Adrian concedes. Ivie sits down in the empty armchair and watches everyone.

"Maybe if you tell me everything you know about this then I'll be able to think of something to help." John offers. Adrian thinks that over for a moment before nodding.

Adrian proceeds to tell John everything they know about Ivie and the vine girl side of her. Lucas, Lena, and Jerica sometimes pitch in to the explanation to help.

Mason sits silently leaning against the wall facing everyone. Ivie sits statue still as her eyes dart to each person who talked, trying to keep up with the conversation.

But Ivie relaxes into the chair as she feels exhaustion pulling at her like a child begging her to come play. Ivie blinks to keep herself awake. It's only around 10:30 pm, so Ivie refuses to sleep.

"So she can't remember anything?" John asks as his eyes flicker over to Ivie. Her eyes are closed, making John wonder of she's asleep.

"That's what she told me. But we dont talk a lot. She's usually with her best friends." Lena tells John.

Lena feels awful that John got forcefully pulled into all of this, but the damage had already been done. There's nothing to do about it now.

"Then I think I know how to help her." John says, hoping he's right.

"How?" Lena asks immediately.

Adrian stares at John awaiting an answer. "Well, you said vine girl told you that Ivie has to fix herself. Right?" John starts off.