20 - Foot Down

Chapter 20 - Foot Down

*Your POV*

     Okay, so I guess what Laurance did was a total jerk move. First off, he kisses me and then lets me down. Second, he freaking humiliated me! But I can't hate him. I mean, what's the point? I'll be like such a mess again in front of him. I don't even know how to face him. Dangit, weekends are too short.

     "(Y/n), breakfast!" I hear mom's voice downstairs.

     "I'm coming," I went down the stairs and sit next to Eyanne, who's actually awfully quiet right now. "What's wrong, En?"

     "Nothing." And she just goes back to eating her pancakes.

     I look at Mom who as well notices Eyanne's weird behavior. "Are things okay at school?" Mom sits with us.

     "Yeah, things are great." She shrugs.

     Me and my mom just look at each other and something really is on Eyanne's mind. If only I could read people's minds as well. It's much better than having to deal with Sassy Sly.

     Speaking of Sly, he seems to have noticed Eyanne's aura too. "Did something happen?" She asks.

     It was just awkward silence at the table until now on the way to school. "Mind telling me what's on your mind?" I say.

     "We only have four months left here until the school year ends, huh?" She says quietly.

     "Yeah, but it never did bother you before. Why now?"

     "Don't you just miss dad?"

     I stop in my tracks and look at her. She just walks on and I follow. "Of course I do. Things haven't been the same without him..."

     "I just can't believe it, the house we've spent our whole lives in with him and mom, just taken away like that. Still no reasons declared. Why would they even take it? It's not like anyone needs it or something."

     "You're...actually right. Why should they take it?"

     "Exactly. I at least wanted to keep the house of our memories. When I graduate from college, I'm taking that house back."

     I smile at her determined stance. She isn't looking down anymore, the Eyanne we know.

~

     "You have got to be kidding me. After what he's done?!" Lucinda snaps. We're in the girls' bathroom at the moment and I just told them I'd just treat Laurance the same way I always did. I didn't want anything to change between us, I didn't want to lose what we had.

     "I guess.. I mean, we did win the Stage Acts." I say.

     "(Y/n), that's not a valid reason! I hate to say this because Laurance is my friend, but he humiliated you and he doesn't deserve your empathy." Aphmau.

     "But you know, we're still cool."

     Lucinda sighs. "Whatever. We're still mad at him for what he did to you anyway."

     "I'd rather you guys not show it." I shrug and head to my locker, leaving them in the girls' bathroom.

     I know it's dumb, but I just don't want to be the kind of person who's a sore loser or something like that.

     "Hey (Y/n)," I hear the devil's voice once again. "I hear that kiss onstage was a total fake. I mean, I'm not surprised. Who would wanna kiss you?"

     "Ivy, I honestly don't care. So if you'll excuse me, I have better things to do than deal with you." I slam my locker shut and walk away.

     "Lo-ser~" I hear Lily say and then the three of them laugh.

~

     The day went by and things really got awkward between me and Laurance. Which is really confusing because in those last parts of the Stage Acts, we were just the same. But as for this day, we didn't joke around and insult each other. It's just hi and hello and questions answered by yes or no. Which is unbearable, considering I didn't even get mad at him or even reacted in a negative way to what he'd done.

     Lucinda and Eyanne just shot eye daggers at him. But I give them a look that tells them to stop so they just roll their eyes. And then when Laurance was talking everyone would just stay quiet and throw in a little laugh. I guess our friends really understood what happened.

     I kinda pity Laurance. But if our group of friends were the ones that were at him, mine was the whole school. Whispers that could really be heard were all throughout the school. I've heard things such as they pity me, saying that I'm really not for Laurance's standards and such. And then walking around the school has made me anxious considering everyone's watching me.

     "(Y/n)?" And of course, here he is.

     I turn to face him. "Yeah?"

     "You wanna hang out at the mall tomorrow? Just you and me? It's like a date." Laurance says.

     "A date?" I feel my cheeks heat up. What in the name of Irene?

     "Like a date, but not really a date. I mean, we're really just friends." He shrugs.

      It would have been okay and I would have just shut up if it was just him and me here. But we're in the hallways, and people were staring at us. Why wouldn't they? We're the biggest talk of the school. Plus, him turning me down on his invitation just made their rumors confirm themselves.

     I feel used and humiliated. And from the guy whom I never thought would do so to me. Unbelievable.

     I slap him. Like, legit slap him. Hard. "I like you, Laurance." My face had no expression, I looked him straight in the eye. "But whether or not I like you, you don't kiss a girl onstage then humiliate her saying it wasn't real and you don't bring her hopes up then immediately bring her down. You're a jerk, you know that? A total. Freaking. Jerk. You're the person I least expected to do so those things. So you could just not show me your face ever again. I'm leaving in four months and this is how it's going to be?" I wipe a rebel tear across my face. "Thank you, you've been a part of my life. Now I want you out of it." And I walk out.

     I didn't know who were there, but I think I heard Katelyn calling me. But I don't care. I just want to be out of here.

     I'm hurting and numb at the same time, and it's freaking hell.

~

[ Okayyyyyy I'm back! This chapter is actually a fourth attempt of me writing this because I was so confused on how I wanted the story to go! Anyway, sorry for the long wait, here you go!

Vote, comment and share! ]