Lie To Me {30}

“Food!” I said instantly as my mom carried the pan over and set it down.

                My hands shot out and grabbed the pan of mac and cheese before I had time to think. Searing pain ripped through my hands and I yanked them away with a cry of pain.

                “Shailer! You are such a dumbass! I JUST TOOK THAT OFF A BURNING STOVE!” mom cried in annoyance before grabbing me and dragging me into the kitchen. She forced my hands under cold water and I whimpered at the pain.

                “Great. One more injury we have to explain to your father,” she grumbled and shot me a furious look. I shrugged.

                I had refused to tell her how I got hurt in school, and slapped my hand over Tattle’s mouth when she had asked him. I didn’t want my parents to know about my dad’s alcoholism spreading around the school. I also didn’t want them to know I had willingly been beat up.

                My mom could seem like a tough bitch, but she really worried about me. Maybe she didn’t like my being gay, but it pained her to see me bullied for it.

                Plus, I was her son. Her only child. Seeing me injured at all destroyed her, especially after what had happened to me that day 10 years ago with my dad. My mom was a tough woman, but her heart had a soft spot for me, and she was protective. I didn’t want to worry her. I loved her too much to do that to her.

                I went back over to my friends and sat down. They had scooped themselves the food and Tattle picked up the spoon in the pan. He raised an eyebrow and held it out in front of me.

                “See this, Shailer? This is called a spoon. S-P-O-O-N. When a pan has just been taken off a flaming stove after 20 minutes, we use the S-P-O-O-N to scoop the food out so we don’t burn ourselves,” he explained.

                I snatched the spoon out of his hand and hit him in the face with it, getting the cheese on him. He glared at me and reached for a napkin.

                I grabbed his hand and leaned forward, slowly licking the cheese off his face. I placed my hand on his thigh gently.

                “Ow!” I whined, rubbing my head and glaring at Clyde.

                He smiled back innocently and pointed at his bowl of food. “Eating here. I’d really rather not watch you lick your boyfriend. GOOD BOYS KEEP THEIR HANDS ON THE TABLE, NOT UNDER IT!” he cried.

                “GOOD BOYS DON’T THROW CANDLES AT THEIR BEST FRIEND!” I cried and chucked the candle at his head. He dodged it and I went back to rubbing my head where that stupid candle had hit me moments ago.

                Did these people not understand that I couldn’t afford to lose all these brain cells?!

                “It’s also not nice to hit your boyfriend in the face with a spoon and then excite him for nothing,” Tattle grumbled as he wiped his face off with a napkin.

                “Pay back for this morning,” I said simply before scooping some food into my bowl and beginning to eat hungrily.

                “Shailer! Eat slower before your fat ass chokes!”

                “OW! YOU PEOPLE NEED TO STOP HITTING ME!” I cried and covered my head as my mom swat at me with a wooden spoon.

                “Bad boy! EAT SLOWER!”