Lie To Me {4}

We sat outside during lunch, sipping on slushies as we sat on the picnic tables under the pavilion. It was just me, Chelsea, and Clyde outside. Other kids rarely came out here because there wasn’t much to do. Plus, this was Tattle’s lunch period. Everyone loved to flock around him and see if he had any “good” gossip to share.

                There was a van with a security guard sitting inside keeping an eye on us just in case we decided to run away from school, but the windows on the van were rolled up so he probably couldn’t even hear the three of us as we talked and laughed.

                “So you just kicked the chair out from under him?” Chelsea asked, laughing. I nodded and grinned. “Yea. That asshole spilled right onto the floor. He’s pathetic. I wish people would stop being scared of him and just kick his sorry ass,” I said with a sigh.

                “Everyone’s just afraid of being tattled on,” Chelsea said with a shrug. She bit her lip nervously and took a sip of her slushie. “Honestly, I personally wouldn’t mess with him. He could really ruin a person’s reputation,” she said quietly.

                I snorted. “Wow. Ruining a person’s high school reputation. Big fucking deal. Once you hit college, your high school reputation doesn’t even matter because no one will even know it. Tattle thinks he’s so big and bad, but he’ll be screwed once he gets to college and people start fucking him up for talking big. And when you think about it, that’s really all Tattle does. He talks big and walks small. He’s got no one to stick up for him, and he knows it,” I said angrily.

                “Shailer, you’re going into rant mode,” Clyde said and forced the straw of my slushie into my mouth. “Give yourself a brain freeze. Chill out. HA. Get it? Chill out? Because brain freezes are cold!” he cried happily and slapped his knee. “I’m so damn funny!”

                Chelsea and I glanced at each other and shook our heads. I took a large sip of the slushie and set it down on the table. Chelsea nudged me and I looked at her curiously. She nodded at the door that led into the school and I turned to face it.

                Tattle came outside and his furious eyes locked on me. He came storming over to our table and I picked up my slushie and took another large sip, giving him a bored look.

                “You’re telling everyone what happened, aren’t you?” he demanded. I nodded. “Indeed I am,” I said pleasantly, smirking at him. He clenched his fists tightly. “Tattling is my game,” he hissed and I burst into laughter.

                “Tattling can be anyone’s game. Some of us just respect other people enough not to do it,” I pointed out. “But for you, I have no respect.” Tattle glared harder. He opened his mouth to speak and I gripped my head and jumped off the table.

                “My head!” I cried as it exploded into pain. “God damn you Clyde! My brain is frozen!” I screamed, rolling on the ground. I groaned in pain. So this was what dying felt like, huh?

                The pain receded and I jumped up back onto the picnic table and smiled at Tattle. “Sorry, what were we talking about?” I asked joyfully. Not that there was anything joyful in talking to Tattle. He would probably tell everyone about the little episode I had just had. Not that I cared. He would’ve done the exact same thing if his brain had been painfully freezing to death. Gosh, if I hadn’t acted as fast as I had, I could’ve died. My poor, giant brain would’ve shut down. It was a good thing I knew how to stop, drop, and roll.

                Tattle raised an eyebrow at me. “I’ll get something to tattle on you,” he threatened. I shrugged and laughed. “What could you possibly use to tattle on me? There’s nothing I have to hide and if I do something, I’ll admit to it. You going to stalk me until you find something? Fucking hell; they should start calling you Shadow instead of Tattle,” I said calmly. Inside, I felt furious. But I wouldn’t give him the satisfaction of knowing just how bad he was pissing me off.