Chapter Twelve

This Chapter is dedicated to princessSL—my 50th fan! <3

Thank you  for helping me reach one of many milestones! You’re the best!

_________________________________♥  ♥  ♥__________________________________

I sat looking over the city it my private sanctuary. On the hill in an old tree house I found on the outskirts of town. The lights become brighter in the town as the sky darkened, the sun dipping into the cotton candy clouds on the horizon. I felt hollow. Everyone seemed to be ignoring me—everything seemed to be wrong with me. I take a snap with the camera, sighing.

                    “This will be good in black and white,” I mumbled to myself.

                    I felt black and white—with no grey area. Nowhere that was just okay—everything was either good or bad, and that was it….

                    I cradled my knees to my chest, turning on the makeshift light on by the handling, realizing it was becoming dark outside. I think I’d stay here all night. I did have some dibs, sandwich meat, bread, mayo, chips, and root beer in the mini fridge in the corner of my tree house.

                    I’m so glad freshman year I had one of my friends who was good with electricity skills wire this place up. I had a nice little space heater that put this place at a comfy temperature when it got chilly, and I had a TV too, sure…it had bootleg cable, and the TV itself was small, but at least I was entertained for a while.

                    It was my little home away from home. Sure half the place was taken up by the full mattress I had pushed in the corner, but the other half was kind of—spacious.

                    I had also taken up on putting up some red shutters and painting the tree house white with a red door. I checked up on this place at least once every four weeks—just to make sure everything was okay.

                    I laid down on the mattress and sighed, rolling over on my side. I checked my phone, no new messages. I rolled over on my back feeling lonelier than ever. Maybe I should text Alistair…maybe I shouldn’t. I seemed to have hurt him in some way.

~ ~ ~

I woke up startled by the morning light stretching across my blinds. It must have been later than six in the morning. I was going to have to rush to school. Going through one of the cubbies I had stored extra clothes in, I changed awkwardly, fumbling around, and grabbing all my school things in my arm, and shoving them in my backpack.

                    I clamored down the tree house and out of the woods.

                    It would take me forever to get to school! Seriously, forever!

                    I was at school in about an hour—an hour late. I was so winded. I entered the lunchroom huffily, clambering over to me and Jenna’s table—only to find she wasn’t there. I looked around, and realized Jenna was sitting with Zoey…

                    I furrow my eyebrows, and she catches me starring. “Oh Fallon, over here!” Jenna called over to me.

                    I sigh, and walk over to their full table. I look around. “Where am I supposed to sit?”

                    Zoey looked around, and then her eyes stopped on one person. “Claire!” she clapped twice. “Can you sit somewhere else for the day?”