The Devil's Son Chapter Nineteen

It's the TWENTIETH PART!!!! I CAN'T BELIEVE THIS!!!!!!! THANKS TO ALL OF THE READERS OF THE STORY!!!!!!!!!!!!! ESPECIALLY MY FANS, THOSE WHO WERE THERE FROM THE BEGINNING AND THOSE WHO JOINED MORE RECENTLY!!!!!!!!! YOU ROCK!!!!!!

And we're slowly but inexorably approaching the end. In a few chapters, it'll be the Grande Finale!! Stay tuned!

I know this chapter is pretty short, but i promise that the next one will be fairly longer!! Peace and love to all of you, kids!

CHAPTER NINETEEN

"What?! Ethan is here?!" I mumbled, my voice hoarse. I made a terrified face and he chuckled. Then his arms surrounded me and his mouth found mine.

"Goodbye... for now, little human. You'll see me again soon enough," he promised.

The movement of his lips against mine made me shiver with delight. With one last quick peck, he gathered his clothes and disappeared, his aura vanishing from the hotel room.

It's incredible how one kiss can make you lose your head to this point. I almost instantly forgot why I was angry with him in the first place.

Then I heard a soft knock on my door.

"Enter," I said, my voice still shaky.

The door cracked open.

"Ethan is there, you want to see him?" Jason asked in a hushed voice.

"Umm, yeah of course." I mumbled and slid my fingers through my messed up hair. I really hoped that Ethan didn't have some 'Demon-alert' radar, because if he had, I was SO busted.

Jason walked out and soon Ethan stormed in. He sat beside me in my bed and he hugged me for a long moment.

When he finally let go of me, he murmured:

"I'm sorry for leaving you alone... So sorry... I should've stayed by your side, at my place. But I always have to screw things up... Always..."

I cupped his cheek in my palm.

"What do you mean by 'always', you always were there for me."

"But you almost died... And it was my fault, like before... It's always like this." His voice broke.

I slid my arms around his shoulders and buried my hand deep in his hair. He was troubled; I could feel it through the strange connection we shared.

"It's not always like this, it never happened before."

"No, you don't understand... I'm talking about my past, about the other people I've been assigned to protect, to guard. They all..."

"Died." I completed.

"Yes. And not naturally. Each time, every single life, every single mortal died. And I could have done nothing to stop it. I just... watched. And now, I just couldn't stand to lose you, to watch you die before it's your time... Before you lived a long and happy life on earth."

I had a lump in my throat.

"You can not change your destiny, Amelie... I've always been assigned to humans whose destinies were tragic... And now you... You almost died. The same old story repeats all over again."

I could feel his sorrow mixed with pain... A horribly lonely feeling was emanating form him.

"No, I'm not going to leave you. Never. Even if I die, my soul will be with you, forever. We are made to be together, and no matter what, we'll remain together."

I don't know who I was reassuring at that particular moment, myself or him.

I mingled my fingers with his and we sat in silence for a moment. Then my mom stormed in and announced: