Redemption Chapter Eighteen

Chapter Eighteen

I found Lucifer in the living room, sitting in the chair facing the fireplace, contemplating the flames with a distant and thoughtful expression. He didn’t acknowledge my presence until I stood right in front of him, blocking his view of the flickering, crackling fire.

He looked up at me then, looking irritated.

“Today, Remus is going to kill the demon you summoned. Today, Lucifer! Do you even know where that Demon is?”

Lucifer snorted, as if I were ridiculous.

“Of course that I know where it is, little human,” he said lazily, and his gaze met mine. Suddenly, I felt the weird need to move away from the fireplace. I walked away a few steps, slightly dazed. As soon as Lucifer’s eyes left mine, though, the weird haze clouding my mind disappeared.

I whirled to face him.                       

“Don’t ever use your mind control, or whatever, on me again, Lucifer!” I hissed, furious.

His smile faded, anger flashed across his features, and then his expression was smooth again, blank.

Demons and their impossible mood swings…

His gaze levelled mine, and he raised an eyebrow.

“I assume you had a vision,” he said flatly.

“Yes. And today is when all of this finally ends,” I breathed, sinking into a chair that was farther away from his.

I’ve never been more wrong in my entire life.

***************

As twilight settled over the city, Lucifer vanished.

Anxious, I sat with the others, though Remus was still missing. I knew where he was. He was massacring a demon, the last he’d ever kill before he was dragged to Hell, to a fate way worse than death.

Ethan could sense my worriedness, but he didn’t comment on it. He just sat next to me, looking more sad and old than ever, until he finally said quietly, so softly that no one else but me could hear, “This is all coming to an end, Amelie.”

I glanced at him quickly.

“What?”

“After the killer is captured, I have received orders to go back to Heaven. They decided you were not mine to protect, anymore.  Heaven considers that you’ve already chosen what side you’re on. And well… let’s just say it’s not the good side. I’ll be given another human to protect.”

I felt as though someone has just punched all the air from my lungs.

“Why?” I asked in a breathless voice.

“My superiors think that all of this,” he gestured softly to the people around us, “will corrupt me if I stay any longer. They want me to stay away from you, because I’m not all that experienced with that sort of stuff, you know, Fallen Angels and Demons. Besides, they think that it was a mistake to let me get involved in all of this. I should’ve stayed invisible, as all Guardian Angels are.”

“But…” I breathed softly…

“Listen to me carefully, Amelie. I won’t be here much longer. It could be tomorrow, or today, God only knows, and then, you’ll be all alone, relying only on Lucifer,” he winced, “I did one last thing that could help you. Gabrielle will visit you if you call for her. I know you want Lucifer to be redeemed, and if I think he needs to hear Gabrielle’s version of the story of his… birth. We all know that his father’s version was altered… So, yes, Gabrielle will come to you,” he took something from the pocket of his pants and pressed it into my hand. When I glanced at it, I saw it was a necklace. The pendant was a beautiful, minuscule silver wing, and the chain was a thin strip of emerald silk. I tied it around my neck and it settled underneath my shirt, pressing against my collarbone. “I also wanted to warn you about something. I shouldn’t be telling you this, but I will. There aren’t only humans, Demons, Angels and Fallen Angels walking this earth. There are so many other things… There aren’t a lot of them yet, but soon… soon there will be more.”