Chapter 30

To Build a House - Cinematic Orchestra

      "I took back up photography," I say, snapping a picture of Nick.  I was the only one in the  room and I wanted it to be that way for right now.  Nick had been in a coma for about a month and the doctor was already losing hope.  I didn't understand it, but I wasn't losing hope just yet. I rounded his bed and snapped another picture of him. "I wish you could smile."

I took a seat in the chair beside his bed, feeling defeated.  " I can't give up on you.  I can't give up on us.  If you die today I wouldn't regret any of it.  I just... feel like.. shit, I feel like complete and utter shit." A tear escaped my eyes and I hurriedly wiped it away.  I didn't want to cry anymore.  Crying never solved anything. It didn't wake Nick up.  It didn't do anything so I didn't want to cry anymore. I had a headache, I was constantly tired and my throat was sore.

"You know Kelsie is getting huge, she has your nose.  Your birthday is coming up and I want to throw you a birthday party, but I know how you hate surprises.  You'll be 26, you're getting old," I teased, lean forward and take his hand in mine. 

"We've been together for almost two years,  We fell in love, got married and had a baby in the span of two years." I sighed, squeezing his hand.  "I wish you could just give me a sigh, give me some kind of hope."

I stared at him for a very long time, before laying my head back down accepting the defeat.  I felt myself losing hope, my heart dropping, the tears falling free. In the midst of my hopeless sobbing I felt a light pressure on my hand. I bolted upright and stared at Nick's hand.  My tears had briefly halted and my heart was hammering heavily inside of my chest.

"Nick? Nick.. can you hear me?" I ask, desperately.  I needed him to hear me.  I needed him to wake up. I needed him.

"Eve." It was a soft, breathy whisper, but I heard it.  I heard it, loudly.  Tears filled my eyes, as I watched one of his eyes twitch and an ocean of blue peaked out at me.

"Nick, honey! Nicholas." He didn't respond, but I knew he was awake.  I stood from my chair and quickly rushed to find his doctor.  I spotted a nurse.

"Hey, Nick's awake." I say and she nods, following closely behind me into Nick's room.  Nick's eyes were closed again. She checked his pulse and evaluated his condition, and then a doctor walked in.  I walked out the room, pulling out my phone to call his mother.

"Hello?" she said, depressed.

"Mama Rachel he's awake.  He's squeezed my hand and said my name.  He's awake!" I exclaim pacing the floor, a smile planted on my face.  I was beyond happy and I wanted to cry.  This time the tears were happy tears.  The happiest tears.

"Honey, honey that's great! I'll be there in seconds." With that said she quickly ended the call.  I took a deep breath sniffling and wiping away the tears in my eyes.  Just as I walking into the room Nick's body started twitching and then he erupted into a full on thrash.

"He's having a seizure," The doctor called and a hoard of nurses rushed into he room.  One took my hand and pulled me out of the room.

"No, he was just doing fine," I cried, falling only to be held up by the nurse.  "He was doing fine." My last words were uncontrollable sobs.  The pain in my chest returned and the tears continued to flow.

The nurse pulled me over to the side, looking into my tear filled eyes. "You have to calm down honey."

I took several deep breaths, and attempted to calm myself.  I nod and look up, my eyes meeting Rachel's.