Chapter 28

A/N: Hey, this chapter contains some violenceI do not condone violence and most of the information gathered for this chapter is compliments of the internetI'm not a gun gal so I don't know types and what notEnjoy.

                           Radioactive - Imagine Dragons

"I'm worried," I admit, pacing the floor.  I had been pulling my hair out—metaphorically of course.  I was extremely stressed out.  My entire world felt as though it was crashing down.

Two Weeks.  I hadn't talked to Nick in two weeks and as the days passed by I became more and more worried.

"I need to get in touch with him, but every time I tried it went to voicemail. Something's definitely wrong," I say.

"I agree, but Eve stop pacing, please?" Kelly said.  She wasn't as worried as me, but she was worried. 

"Why haven't they called me? If he's...he..." I choked on my words, tears appearing in my eyes.  "I have to know what's going on."

Kelly opened her mouth, just as the doorbell rang. I shot up and rapidly made my way towards the front door.  When I slung the door open my heart began to ache.  Standing there was two men in uniform, they both held sad expressions on their face.

"Please, please no," I sobbed.

"Evening Mrs. Payton can we come in?" One of the men said. 

I pull myself together and move aside.  I wanted to cry, because I felt it.  Something was wrong I just didn't know what, but it was something. Nick couldn't be dead, it wasn't his time.  We had a daughter, we just got married. We all made our way into the living room where Kelly was sitting.  I sat down next to her and she wrapped her arms around me.

They both sighed.  "Eve... Nick's camp was attacked." I glanced down to his name before looking back at him. Lieutenant Rogers.

"Is he..." I pulled both my lips into my mouth as tears freely flowed down my cheek.

"Mrs. Payton your husband was shot while trying to save five of our other officers.  Your husband is a hero," The other man said.  The word shot almost made me miss the word is, but I heard it clearly.  Is was the reason I stopped sobbing. Is was the reason my heart lurched in hope. Is was what helped me pull myself together, because is wasn't was and Nick wasn't dead.

I sat up, pulling myself out of Kelly's arms. "Tell me what happened," I demanded, wiping my wet cheeks.

"Ma'am your husband was taken along with five other men and he had been missing for about a week ... He was shot three times.  He's currently at a urgent care clinic on base.  As soon as we landed we wanted to inform you."

I swallowed thinking to myself.  I was trying to wrap my mind around what was going on.  Nick had been shot. Nick was alive.  I had to see Nick, Now.

"Take me to him," I said, my voice stiff.

"Of course ma'am, but there is one thing we haven't mentioned."