Chapter 25 (Nicholas's P.O.V.)

"She's absolutely perfect," I murmur, pacing the room and rocking her gently.  I had fallen in love twice.  I looked over at my beautiful wife as she watched me with OUR daughter, her eyes shining with pride. 

I approached her bed and sat in the recliner on her side.  I leaned over to press a kiss against her lips.  Kelsie began to lightly coo as she slowly awoke.  I learned down and kissed the top of her head.  There was a knock at the door, and then the door opened and my parents, Eve parent's and Kelly walked in. My mother walked over to us and reached for Kelsie and I gently handed her to my mother.  Eve's father approached me and held out his hand. 

"Congratulations, son," he said and smiled. I returned his smile, and then my eyes toured the room to see Kelly seemingly stand offish so I walked over to her.  Before I could open my mouth to say anything she threw her arms around me.  For years my sister had been down my throat about dating her friends, because of a little mistake back when we were both teenagers and now we were at this point.  The point of no return. 

She pulled away from me and smiled.  "I'm sorry, Nick.  I'm sorry for being a bitch to you and Eve and starting that pointless rule.  You love her and I shouldn't have tried to stand in your way."

"You're forgiven, now you have to see your niece," I smiled taking her hand and dragging her over to the rest of the family. 

Two weeks later.

There was a high pitched whine in the air and I groaned, sitting up in the bed.  "My turn," I yawned drowsily and threw the covers off of my body.  Eve stirred slightly, but continued to sleep. 

I slipped from the bed, trying not to wake up my very exhausted wife and  softly padded off to Kelsie's bedroom.  She either needed a bottle or she had just defecated on herself.  I leaned into her crib and took her gently in my arms.   Her hazel eyes were bright with tears and her mouth was turned down in a pout. I lightly rocked her in my arms. 

"Don't cry honey, shh its alright." I quietly walked out of the room and downstairs to the kitchen.  Eve breast fed instead of using simulated milk.  She always made bottles just in case I was alone with Kelsie which was almost never.  Eve was on maternity leave from work and she stayed home a lot. 

"Hey, there.  You don't want to wake up mommy, she's really tired," I say and she continued to wail uncontrollably.  I opened the fridge and took one of her bottles out.  I held the bottle underneath the kitchen faucet and ran hot water over it.  After that I turned off the water and tested it out on my hand.

This was normal, me doing this and I had gotten used to it.  I was happy, I wanted to be a father and here I was at two in the morning, a crying baby in my arms and a sleeping wife upstairs. Approving the warmth I eased the nipple in her mouth and just as I expected she began to gently suck on it. 

I smiled in adoration as I paced the floor of the kitchen.  I decided her rocking chair would probably be more effective in putting her back to sleep so I went back upstairs to her room.  I took a seat in her rocking chair and slowly rocked back and forth.  I couldn't help but admire the child Eve and I created together.  The best part about it was that she looked like her mother, soft and innocent, pretty and adorable.  Her skin was golden, her small head was covered in soft, light brown curls and her face was round.  The bottle became empty and I pulled the nipple out of her mouth and shortly after she yawned tiredly. 

I watched as she curled up against me and my heart fluttered.  I loved this amazing little girl with every piece of me.  I felt this connection to her, like she was a part of me. 

"You're really good with her," I heard Eve's voice from the door.  I turned my head to look at her.

"Hey, why are you awake?" I asked and she walked into the room and sat on the arm of the rocking chair.