Chapter 29

The feeling of someone pushing me jolted me out of my dreams.  I jerked forward, opening my eyes to see Nick's mom standing over me. She gave me a forced smile.  It seemed too painful to be real.

"Honey, you should go home and see about Kelsie.  I'll call you if anything changes," She promised. I nod, glancing over at Nicks still form.  It had been two weeks already and he still hadn't awaken.  It was as though I was living a nightmare. 

I tried to spend as much time with Kelsie as I could while trying to stay by Nick's side.  The doctors had told me that there was no improvement whatsoever. I was depressed, but I tried to keep it together for my daughter.  I hated for Kelsie to see me in the state that I was in. I stood up and stretched before approaching Nick's bedside and planting a soft kiss to his forehead. 

"I love you," I whispered and pulled back, brushing his hair with my hand. 

I leaned back letting a dee breath.  I needed to see Kelse before I lose it.  I embraced Nick's mom before leaving the room.  Walking down that long corridor towards the elevator was even painful, because all I could think of was turning around and going back to Nick's room and crying.

I had cried enough tears to fill an ocean and I didn't want to cry anymore.  My eyes were red with annoying bags underneath them, my hair was an absolute mess and everything seemed pretty disastrous.

I pressed the button for the elevator and waited patiently. When it opened I stepped on and pressed the button for the main floor.  When the elevator doors closed I leaned against the wall and glared ahead at the silver doors, listening to sound of the elevator moving.  The elevator dinged indicating that it was stopping and the doors came open. I walked off the elevator and walked through the lobby and out of the building.

My phone began to ring and I dug through my wasteland purse and found it. "Hello?" I answered softly.

"Hey, Eve. I just talked to my mom, she said that you were on your way," Kelly said,.

"Yeah, I'm coming.  Is Kelsie awake?" I ask, my voice coming off as strained.

"Yeah she just woke up. We can always talk about it."

"I really don't want to talk about it," I mumble unlocking the car door.

"I understand how you feel — "

"Kelly you don't understand how I feel.  He is your brother, I know. I know you love him, but He's the father of my child and there is a chance that he will never see that child ever again. "

"You're right.  We both feel pain though, its painful for me to watch you go through this.  Its painful to think about how its going to affect Kelsie if he doesn't make it— "

"Don't say that.  I'm not giving up on him just yet, as long as there is a chance that he might survive this I'm not giving up on him.  I'm not giving up,"' I said as I broke out in sobs.  Hot tears ran down my cheek, my throat had begun to burn and my heart began to ache.  "I don't want to hear it Kelly."

"Okay... " She trailed off and we both became silent.

"I'll see you in a few, bye." I quickly ended the call and tucked my brand new phone into my purse.  I wiped the tears from my cheek. I needed something to briefly take my mind off things.  I couldn't turn to alcohol or drugs, because as fucked up as I was at the moment I wasn't that damaged.  Besides that fact I was breast feeding Kelsie and I wouldn't dare do that to her.

I couldn't get Kelsie at that very moment.  I needed to calm down for her.  She might not understand what was going on, but she knew something was wrong.  Babies sometimes pick up on that stuff.