Chapter 3

I woke up bright and late and with one thing in particular on my mind.  I didn't have to work this week so I was free to do whatever.

I took a deep breath and slid from my queen-sized bed and yawn making my way into the kitchen. I really didn't feel like cooking so I decided to fix myself a bowl of cereal. The guest room door opened and a half naked Nick walked out. He was wearing a pair of Jordan gym shorts and no shirt.

I took a deep breath attempting to annoy the fact that his indecent exposure was affecting me. He wasn't going to make this easy on me. "Good morning roomie, "he says enthusiastically.

"Morning Nick ,"I greet him with a half smile.  He grabs the box of cereal and pours a himself a bowl. 

"I'm so glad you have honeycombs my sister like some wheat cereal because it's low on cals, "he remarks mocking Kelly.

I laugh and spoon some cereal in my mouth.

"Hey what are you doing today? " he asked causing me to look up at him surprised.

What do I tell him? Nothing, that's it.

"Uh nothing."

He smiled gently. "Great! I'm so bored all alone maybe we could just lounge on the couch for just a little while watching a movie." His voice had grown chipper as his eyes brightened. 

Now I was definitely at a lose for words. "Uh.. uhm.. o..kay, "I said finally.

He smiled and sat down at the table across from me. "I don't know much about you Eve except you are an amazing photographer."

"Uh yeah that's my baby - photography, the love of my life, "I admitted admiringly.

"I think you're wonderful at it 'ya know, your photos display passion and vibrance. It's breathtaking, "he said.

I smiled and looked down. "I'm 22, I work as a software engineer for google, I was going to school for my other degree but Google offered me the job so I just decided to postpone school. I have no brothers or sisters and I'm relatively short ." I smile noting the fact that I had just given him a perfect dating website description. 

But, now he knew me. "I'm 24, I'm in the military and I'm not sure if you consider this a talent but I'm great at dirtbike racing. I can take you on a ride one day, "he said hopefully.

Why was he hopeful? "Uh one sister, your bestfriend and I'm relatively tall, "he continued ending the last sentence with a smile.

"No kidding, " I laugh receiving a gentle smile from him. 

I took a deep breath. This felt like a date, a disastrous date but a date none the less.

He stood and I realized his cereal was gone. "I have 21 Jumpstreet, "he said.

I was confused for a minute but then I realized he was talking about the movie. It's like he read my mind.  I had wanted to watch that movie for weeks. 

I nodded and Nick went back into the guest room. I sat on the couch and waited for his return and when he did, he was wearing a white V-neck shirt.

I swallow, again. He put the movie in and sat next to me. I mean like thigh to thigh next to me. I moved over alittle but it seemed like he was coming closer as I moved further away.

He looked over at me with a smirk and then turned back to the tv.

Nicholas Payton was testing me. 

                             ***

Channing Tatum was the Epitome of sexy. As the credits for the movie roll in I sit back against the couch,  going over what had happened.   I had to admit that that was a good movie and it was hilarious. 

I ended up cuddled up to Nick through the laughing and then the movie came to an end leaving me still glued to his side and completely oblivious to what I was going to do to remove myself from such an awkward position.  He looks down at me nestled up against his arm. This felt so right but it was wrong. Kelly wouldn't like this AT ALL. And if she wasn't my best friend I wouldn't car,  but this was the same girl I knew while we were in diapers.

I couldn't betray her friendship we'd been through thick and thin. I sat up quickly the back of my head hitting him in chin.

"Ah shit! "I hissed as the back if my head began to throb in response to the contact.  I look over at him as he grabbed his chin wincing and grunting audibly. 

"Damn were you trying to break my chin? What was that for?"

"I'm soo sorry Nick, I didn't mean to It's just you were looking like you were about to... "I trailed off, feeling awkward.   I didn't know how to bring up the situation without this feeling. 

He looked over at me still rubbing his chin.

"Like what? " he asked irritated.

"Like... uhm.. like, "I stuttered.

He stopped rubbing his chin and looked at me. His eyes lite up with... was that desire? My eyes were probably playing tricks on me. 

"Like I was going to kiss you?"

I swallow. "Uh...Uh.."I stammered.

He smirked. "Well I was... "he continued and leaned over but I turned my head away from him and he stopped. "What's wrong? "

I took a deep breath. "Nick, we can't do this. I'm your little sister's bestfriend."

He took a deep breath and leaned back where he sat. "I mess up twice and she holds it against me forever. I swear she just can't let me live my life, "he mumbled to himself then ran his hand through his hair.

"Nick I promised Kelly I wouldn't go after you so I'm not," I explained.

"Fine I'll just go after you."

I roll my eyes and sighfustrated. He really didn't understand the dilemma I was in.

"No Nicholas, I can't disregard YOUR sister's feelings. She's my bestfriend, "I replied.

"She wouldn't have to know... "

I shook my head. "Never gonna happen, "I stood and tried to leave but he stood too and pulled me into his arms.

"Oh it'll happen just wait and see, "he said dropping a very quick kiss on my lips before backing away and winking at me.

Oh my god. Sweet Jesus. Ay Dios Mio. He kissed me. Me! Eve Baxter, the guy of my dreams kissed moi! God it was barely a kiss though. I wanted more I needed more but he was off limits. Nicholas Payton was untouchable.