Chapter 23

"I bought you a video," Kelly says just as I open the door.

I roll my eyes and step aside as she enters my home, walking pass me and into the living room. "Oh grand, is it porn?" I ask suspiciously, as I close the door and follow her into the living room.  She places a DVD into Nick's Xbox 360 and crashes down on the couch.

"Nope but you're going to love this." Without questioning her, I take a seat on the couch next to her and wait as the DVD starts.

It opens with clear Black words that read "Molly gives birth."

"Ohhh noooo, Kelly you take that damn video out of there now. I do not want to watch this," I exclaim and cover my eyes just as the sound of groaning fill the air.

I hear Kelly chuckle. “Come on Eve, you'll be going through the same thing.  At least you will have something to look forward to."

With a grunt, I slowly uncover my eyes and face the television.  There was a woman in a room and she was delivering a baby apparently.  I watched in complete disgust as she agonizingly gave birth.

I heard the front door come open as the woman continuously pushed and they periodically displayed her vaginal area.

"Hello, is anyone home?" Nick walked into the room just as they showed a shot of the top of the baby's head crowning. "Oh my god what the hell are you watching?" I turned to look at him, trying to hold in the giggle that was begging to erupt.

"You should probably come to terms with this Nicholas Payton; this is how our baby's birth will look mister." He slowly approached the couch, eyeing the TV screen with disgust.

"Okay, I changed my mind; I want to be blind folded in the delivery room, if it's going to be like this."

I roll my eyes and turn around to face the television and he sits next to me and wraps an arm around my shoulder.

"Honey, would you like to come to a ball tomorrow night?" he murmured agianst my ear, and then leaned back and looked into my face with a smile.

"A ball? I've never been to a ball before and I'm not really sure I want to go.  I'm not sure I'm comfortable with wearing a dress right--"

"Please stop, Eve." He stood and so did Kelly, stretching and throwing us a smile.

“That’s my cue to leave." She took her DVD out of the game console and walked out of the door. I turned to Nick confused.

"What exactly are you talking about Nick?" I asked.

"That thing you do that insecurity you want to hold on to so badly.  Eve.." He sat down and took my hand in his, looking into my eyes.

"You're sweet, you're smart, you're genuine, you're funny, you are beautiful and everything I can ever ask for in a woman.  I love you and the fact that you are gaining weight to accommodate our child won't change that.  I hate it when you say shit like that, you have a husband and two other men obsessed with you.  Don't you see that?" He arched an eyebrow.

"Nick, I just don't feel like myself," I admitted and turned my head away from his gaze, but he grasped my chin and eased my face back so that I could stare directly into his blue glare.

"You are perfect, never forget that." He leaned forward and pressed a soft, tentative kiss agianst my lips.  I smiled feeling somewhat better. 

"Okay, I will go with you to this ball. What should I wear?"

"Anything you wear will be beautiful, okay? Just make sure you're wearing that smile on your face."

I couldn't help the bright smile that spread across my lips in response to his words. He returned my smile.  “There it is. I'm going to go in the room and get out my uniform, I have to take it to the drycleaners and you find a nice dress." He stood, leaned down and gave me a kiss before walking up the stairs.