Chapter 21

"How could you read the Harry Potter series backwards?" Zayn's confusion over my statement had made a small chuckle to leave his lips as we cued for GoKarting.

His red t-shirt stretched over his broad shoulders and small goosebumps littered his tanned arms as he refused to take the hoodie that he had left in the car along with him despite the weather. I tried hard to not stare at his toned chest that was evident through his shirt; I occasionally admired the tattoo sleeve that swirled around his arm, but drifted my sight away after my eyes lingered on the veins that flexed on his skin for longer than intended.

He had arrived at my house on time, and then blushed at the sight of me. After another talk from my dad, we had finally gotten in his car and told me we were to go GoKarting. We had been waiting for a while now, and so we decided to talk about our favourite movies, and then diverted onto talking about Harry Potter mainly.

"It gives you a better understanding of the story and characters, plus I personally like to suss out their secrets first, rather than wait till the end." I smiled innocently as Zayn looked at me curiously.

"But then that ruins the point of the story, no?"

"Not at all," I shook my head, "It's like a crime investigation; you have your suspects and then you start getting your evidence until you put together the whole story, only difference is - is that you get the result first and the evidence comes later..."

Zayn shook his head, not quite sure with my statement and then added, "the way I see it, is like having a cake without any ingredients."

"Actually it's like tasting the cake, and then learning why it was done to taste in such a way," I protest again. I enjoyed reading the Harry Potter books backwards, and I was going to stand my point to the very end.

"Ok, now I'm actually hungry," he smirked and then I laughed as we finally dropped that subject.

We finally reached the entrance and Zayn paid for us both, despite my protests, and we then got inside.

"Ok, so just like your reading I'll tell you the ending of this first; I'm gonna win this..." Zayn teased as he handed me my helmet, before putting his on.

I laughed out loud at his attempt and shook my head just as his smirk grew even bigger.

"We'll see to that," and I stuck my tongue out briefly as he playfully shoved me to the side. I couldn't believe how comfortable I was acting around him. I was able to shoot comebacks at him, and I daresay, even flirt slightly. Of course, my heart fluttered violently in my ribcage, but I grew to learn to control it.

It felt lovely having Zayn joke with me, and his touch against my skin wasn't so bad either. I did occasionally flinch whenever he touched my waist, but the butterflies in my stomach only demanded to be touched again. My mind, however, tried hard to keep those thoughts at the back of my mind knowing that if I overthought his actions, I would lose it.

"Game on then, babe," he grinned before jumping inside the Go Kart and then bounced in his seat excitedly. His eagerness was funny; it was just like looking at a small child in a candy shop. I smiled warmly before heading to my own vehicle.

The instructor approached us and briefly informed us of the rules and then said, "when you're ready," and Zayn and I both looked competitively at each other before starting up the kart, and as soon as he sounded the horn, I saw how Zayn raced ahead and passed me. He looked back and saw that I hadn't even moved yet, and stopped.

It was relieving to see that he didn't purposely fail at the game, like most boys did to impress their date, in order to show them that they were a gentleman. However, as I approached him, I noticed he was lost in seeing me handle the GoKart that he had forgotten to get back to the race. So, I decided to turn the tables, and as I pushed my foot down on the accelarator, I rushed past him and away from him and grinned once I was ahead. I looked back and saw him focus on my kart and he then shake his head and yell something that sounded like, 'you won't get away with this' as he tried to catch up with me; but I found that I was quite good at handling the vehicle and drifted on the curves perfectly before flying towards the finish line.