Chapter 12

The journey home was a blur. I just kept going over Zayn's reaction when I said yes to seeing him that night. Monroe couldn't stop talking, but I never heard a word she said. I felt dizzy, and I remember clutching my stomach the whole way back, because I was afraid I would throw up.

I didn't know where he was going to take me, nor the time he would show up at my doorstep. I knew showing him where I lived was a bad idea, but it was too late to turn back now. I thought of maybe making an excuse, say that I was ill, just so I would miss spending the evening with him. Besides, I was feeling ill. But when I told my mum, she wouldn't have it. On the contrary, she couldn't stop grinning. My mum couldn't believe that her daughter was finally going on a date; my brief relationship with Michael had ended before he had enough time to take me out on dates. So you could have guessed the excitement plastered on my mother's face.

Monroe had insisted to stay the night because she wanted to hear "all the dirty little details" of our date. Not that there would be any of the sort, but Monroe only laughed when I told her. Her and my mum both couldn't stop beaming at the situation; my mum couldn't wait to see Zayn in the flesh after having heard how handsome he was, from Monroe. I stayed quiet while they jumped around excitedly. It was nice seeing my mother this happy, but it only made my stomach twist widley as I knew that I wasn't as excited as her.

Suddenly as though a thunderbolt had hit both of them, they stopped talking and then Monroe turned her head to look at me. Mother was the one to speak though; and at first I was quite nervous at hearing what she had to say, but it turned out she was just struck with the thougth of what I was going to wear.

My best friend clapped her hands together, as a suggestion popped into her head and she jumped forward before clasping my hand. "I know just the dress," she muttered as she lead me upstairs -mother following right behind me.

"I don't want to wear a dress," I complained. Wearing a dress showed effort, and that was something I really didn't want to deal with. "It's cold outside anyway!" I added, knowing that my complaint wasn't going to change their mind.

"You can wear a jacket," mum smacked my bottom lightly, as we entered my room.

"You don't care if I get ill?" I questioned as I pulled my hand from Monroe and turned to look at my mum.

"You're so dramatic, oh my gosh." Monroe waved her hands up in the air in annoyance before opening my wardrobe. She skimmed through the rack of clothes until her cheer echoed in the room as she found the dress she wanted. "Here it is!"

I looked at the white lace dress in front of me, and my mother smiled gleefully. She brought her hands to her heart as she looked at me loving, "Oh Dion darling," she muttered and brought a hand to cup me cheek. I could see tears forming in her eyes, and she quickly turned away and breathed in deeply.

"Zayn will be drooling when he sees you in this," Monroe held the dress in her hands as she stroked the fabric.

"I'm not wearing that," I folded my arms as I plopped on the bed. I was just thinking of wearing jeans and a top; a dress was too elaborated and even more so after Monroe decided to comment on Zayn's reaction.

"Honey," mum turned around abruptly and walked towards me, "you'll look beautiful!"

"I don't want to look beautiful," I mumbled as I laid back on my bed. I really didn't want to give Zayn any more reason to look at me; the feeling in my stomach was growing ever more agonizing and I dreaded the moment he would be here.

"Monroe, give us a moment please," my mum spoke softly to my best friend and even without looking at her, I knew she gave her the look. The I-need-a-moment-with-my-daughter-alone look. I heard Monroe's footsteps padding on the carpet as she exited my room, and closed the door without a word. "Honey, what's wrong?"