Chapter 15

Later that night, just as Monroe was brushing her teeth to go to bed, I unfolded the piece of paper again in my palm and stared at the elven digits perhaps longer than I should.

"Oh my gosh, Dion. Just call him already!" Monroe's voice shook me back to reality as I spun around, my hair billowing in the air before coming to cascade down my left shoulder just as my response managed to leave my lips.

"I don't know," I began as I made my way to the bed and narrowly missed the pillow that was thrown at me.

"You're such a Drama Queen!" Monroe shook her head and I threw the pillow back at her.

"Am not!"

"You know what?" In seconds, Monroe jumped on me, bringing me to the floor as she battled with my arms until she was able to get the piece of paper from my hand. She then, laughed mischeviously, and went to get my phone from my dressing table before running -like her life depended on it- and locking herself in the toilet.

"Monroe!" I banged on the door, and pulled on the door knob, "Open up!"

But Monroe didn't even reply; I could hear her heavy breathing from the other side, and just as I pierced my ear to the door, I heard the clicking of my phone's key pad and the dialling of a number.

"MONROE!" I screeched. "Don't you dare call him! I swear, you'll regret it." I huffed in aggrevation and kicked the door. I didn't notice then, but I remember that tears began to form in my eyes as I panicked and dreaded the forthcoming. Soon, I began to plead, "Please, please don't do this!"

A creak of a door, and I turned around to find my father inside my bedroom. "Wha's all this racket 'bout?" Immidiately, I ran to him and clinged to his shirt as I cried like a little child after a tantrum. "Why're you cryin', princess?"

I said nothing, but soon heard the bathroom door swing open and Monroe's little laughter invade my ears.

"It went straight to voicemail anyway, you have nothing to worry about!" I spun my head violently to the side, and stormed towards her.

"How dare you?!"

"You're supposed to be my best friend!"

"You have no right!"

Were just some of the things I remember telling her, before my father took  over.

"Alrigh', I dunno wha's goin' on 'ere, but I think it best if you went back 'ome Monroe." My dad glanced over at me, and saw that almost steam was coming out of my ears from how angry I was, and thought it that the fatherly thing to do was to relieve me from my problem.

But my selfless and caring attributes decided it wasn't the right thing to do, so I responded with, "it's really dark outside, and it's late for her to go home."

"I, meself will drive her," he clappped my shoulder soothingly, just as Monroe silently went to get her stuff. "Now, when I come back, you be'er explain to your ma and I wha' was goin' on missy, understood?"

I nodded silently and went to my bed, holding tightly onto a pillow. Dad, was resting on the door frame waiting patiently for Monroe. However, just before Monroe left my bedroom, unfazed, she turned to look at my bloodshot eyes and said, "I'm sorry, okay? But I don't regret doing it. I'm just trying to help you, Dion." Knowing that I wasn't willing to give her an answer she added, "Anyway, here's your phone," she placed it at the foot of the bed and left without adding anything else.

"Alrigh', ready?" Dad asked as Monroe nodded and followed him out my bedroom, down the stairs and out the house.

I felt silly acting in the way I did, and as I heard my dad's car engine roar to life, I couldn't help but regret being mean to my best friend. Of course, it wasn't right for her to take the matters into her own hands and decide to call Zayn herself. But, then again, if she hadn't called him I wouldn't have had the guts to do it myself. Anyway, he hadn't even answered! It went straight to voicemail.