Chapter 11

For the rest of the show, I noticed Zayn glance at where I was standing more times than thought necessary, but I tried to not overthink anything; even though my head was already going into overdrive. I felt much more at ease, being able to look at the boys -especially Harry- since they didn't know I was there. And even as I looked at Zayn, I noticed that my smiles stretched more freely whenever he offered the gesture himself. Maybe because there was quite a large distance between us, or because I saw him do it several times that I grew used to it; either way, I was enjoying the show and my worries were at ease for quite some time.

Monroe, on the other hand, seemed to have gotten more energy as the show went on. Her cheers became louder and her singing even more out of tune. Her voice was hoarse from all the screaming, but it never showed to have bothered her. She knew all the words to the songs, and even changed her voice to match the member that was singing it. I chuckled to myself as I watched her -she was having the time of her life, bless her.

Even though, I didn't know any other song apart from What Makes You Beautiful, I remember having such a great time. The atmosphere was great, and I felt safe being in the midst of all these people and being surrounded by the darkness around us. However, like everything on this planet, my time at ease had to come to an end. Right before the end of the song was about to play, the same guard came and approached me. He croaked his finger and gestured me to come to him; I quickly told Monroe that I'll be right back -although she didn't even hear me- and shuffled my way down the row till I reached him.

"You can come backstage now." He whispered in my ear.

It was as though someone had taken a cheese grater and grated my stomach. It may sound ridiculous, but that's what it literally felt like to me. The uncomfortable feeling in my stomach was suddenly back and the music sounded much louder in my head.

"Must we?" I asked with hesitation, as I truly didn't want to confront the boys again. Especially after having seen how happy Zayn Malik was to see me. I mean, how was I supposed to act around him? I couldn't deal with it. I looked up to see that the guard had a surprised look on his face. My question genuinely shocked him; he was clearly thinking that any other girl would kill to go backstage. I quickly shook my head as though telling him to forget about what I had just said; I couldn't disappoint Monroe. "Sure, let me just get my friend," I added quickly before going back to my seat.

The girls next to me were whispering to one another and looking at us, though I never knew what they were saying as I focused my attention on my best friend rather than them. I pulled Monroe down the row again, apologising to the people as we went past for the hassle that we were creating -though some didn't even realise our disappearance as their eyes were still tranced by One Direction on stage.

"What are you doing?" Monroe questioned me with frustration as she tried to pull her hand away.

I ignored her question and tightened my grip on her wrist as we reached the guard. I couldn't tell her where we were going in front of these people, they would collapse if they heard where we were going.

"Alright, we can go." I mumbled to the guard as I bounced on my heels nervously.

Silently we followed the guard past the rows of fangirling girls until we reached the doors of the exit.

"Why are we getting kicked out?" Monroe asked in panic as she longingly looked back at the people that were singing along to the last song.

I had to laugh at her question before I pulled her forward so I could reach her ear, "we're going backstage bec-"

"OH MY GOSH!" I didn't even have time to finish my sentence when Monroe's screams pierced my ears. "We are?!" Her lips stretched into a glowing grin and she clapped her hands together as she was unable to keep her excitement. "Thank you, thank you, thank you!" She leaned forward to hug me tightly in her arms; her actions took me aback and I couldn't even hold her back.