Chapter 9

Reception later that day

I sit at the table looking down at my hands, still in shock after what happened earlier. Martin was laughing and joking with a few guys next to me. I didn’t look at him but I could sense that someone was looking at me. I slowly look up and my eyes lick on Joe was sitting only a few tables away, looking at me. I look at Martin out of the corner of my eye and see that he's now watching me.

“Go and get your self something to drink but come straight back,” he authorises, putting money down in front of me.

I slowly stretch my hand out for the money and stand up. I slowly walk over to the bar and lean against it for support.

“You okay?” The bartender asks me. I nod. “You sure?" I nod again. "I think I may know something that will help.”

He turns away from me before turning back a few seconds later with a glass of whisky. He puts it down in front of me and I weakly smile at him. I give him the money and turn to look at Martin. He was now up on the dance floor, dancing with a bunch of girls. I look at the door to my side before quickly walking towards it with my drink.

I walk down the hall towards the balcony outside, opening the french doors as I approach and walk out. I walk over to the wall and put my drink down. I look out to the gardens when I suddenly feel a hand on my back which makes me jump.

“Hey, it’s fine. It’s only me,” Joe reassures, looking at me. “You okay?”

“I’m fine,” I lie, starting to shake.

“Chelsea…” He whispers, putting his arm over my shoulders and pulling me to his side.

That was all I needed before breaking down. Tears fall freely down my cheeks and Joe takes me fully in his arms. I cling to the back of his white shirt as he tries to calm me down.

“Why are you crying?” He asks me.

“I-I-I’ve tried so hard…but he…” I stutter.

“What? Who’s he? That guy you came with?” He questions. I nod against his chest. “What’s he done?”

“I-I-I can’t…” I manage to say in between breaths.

Joe pulls me away from him and holds me by the shoulders. “Chelsea, tell me what he did.”

I look into his eyes and see that he was starting to worry.

“He…”

“He what?”

“He raped me.”

I watch Joe carefully as he stares blankly at me.

“He did what? When?”

“Joe, please…”

“It was earlier wasn’t it?”

I nod before Joe lets go of my shoulders and starts to walk back into the hotel.

“Joe!” I shout before trying to run after him.

Joe’s POV

How can someone do that? He just…that man disgusts me!

----

I walk back into the reception and see that he was still on the dance floor. I walk over to him and pull him away from the girl he's dancing with.

“Hey, what the hell do you think you’re doing?” He shouts before I punch him in the face.

I watch him fall to the ground, clutching his face, as my friends pull me away from him.

“Joe!” I hear Kim shout.

“Joe, mate, what the hell do you think you’re doing?” Jack asks me, helping him up.

“Ask him!” I shout.

“Martin, what’s he talking about?” Jack asks him.

“I don’t know!” Martin replies.

“Don’t play dumb! You raped her!” I shout and the room goes quiet.

I look round the room and spot Chelsea standing at the edge of the dance floor, tears running down her face.

“You raped Chelsea?” Jack asks Martin.

“Don’t try and deny it! She told me.”

“And when was that? While you were sleeping with her? Oh, that’s right, I know you’re sleeping with her.” Martin smirks.

“No, I’m not!” I lie.

“Then how would you know I’ve raped her?”

“I asked her while you were here flirting with other girls.”

“Let me tell you something…I…did not…rape her.” Martin says smugly before Jack punches him in the face.

“Oh, shut up!” Jack sighs, looking down at him. “Someone call the police.”

“Already done it,” Robert confirms, walking over to Martin. “You seem to ruin everything for other people. When are you ever going to grow the fuck up?”

My friends let me go and I look at Chelsea again. I so badly want to go over to her and pull her into my arms and tell her that it’ll all be okay…but I can’t. Instead, I walk over to Kim, pick up my jacket and take her hand in mine.

“We’re going.”

She nods before picking up her bag and following me. We walk past Chelsea and she looks at me. I half smile at her before walking away.

----

We arrive back home and Kim hadn’t spoken to me the whole journey home.

I walk into the living room and put my jacket over the back of the couch and sit down.

“What?” I ask Kim, sensing her looking at me.

“Have you been cheating on me?”

“What? No!” I lie again.

“How do I know that?”

“What are you trying to say to me?”

“You’re barley home now for some weird reason and we haven’t slept together in god knows how long.

I sigh before standing up and walking over to her. I take one of her hands in mine.  “Why would you even think that all of that adds up to me cheating?”

“I just kinda matches up.”

“Well it doesn’t.” I lean down to kiss her.

I know I was going to regret this later, but I have to do this to act normal. We pull apart and I look at her.

“Maybe we can have this time to ourselves to…” She starts.

I smile at her before she starts to pull me towards the stairs. No matter what we do together, my mind will always be on Chelsea.