Chapter 42

Chapter 42

Excuse any mistakes and/ or flaws. Thanks for reading. Vote, comment, and fan please! :D Love you guys! Oh and there's about 8 more chapters until the end. I decided to make this 50 chapters instead of 45. Okay, you can read now. Happy Reading! :)

November 13: Two weeks later

Puzzled. Worried. Filled with anticipation and anxiety. Those are some of the words that describe how my parents and I are feeling right now as we patiently sit across from the casually dressed detectives. They knocked on our door a few minutes ago so we let them in. We have no idea what they'll say. No idea if they've brought good news or bad. All we know is that they asked to speak to just my parents and I in private which made me highly nervous. Dana and Jared are in the previous room but I know they're listening in.

"Campbell family, we regret to inform you that Mr. Ian Hunt was released last week." Davis sighs angrily.

"Released?" We all question with malcontent.

"He posted bail. The judge set it for one million but he bailed himself out on November 3rd. Three days after he was arrested."

Everyone remains silent, filled with uneasy dread. My stomach begins to twist because Dana was right. He'll either be released or go to trial.

 With my head down and shoulders hunched I feel mom gently squeeze my hand while Davis continues, 

"Upon further investigation there wasn't enough evidence to convict him so there won't be a trial. The case is closed."

"Why?" My dad asks, clearly outraged.

"Because we're dropping the charges that's why." Hawthorne responds indifferently. We're all at the kitchen table. She and Davis are sitting across from us with neutral faces.

"No, you can't do that! He's guilty." I try to convince them.

"There's no point in making him serve time for a crime he obviously didn't commit. There's clearly no evidence against him." She responds seemingly hopeless.

"But you searched his house, right? Your evidence is right there." I stare at them with pleading eyes.

"We searched and it was cleaner than an unborn baby. No footprints or fingerprints except his." She counters.

"Hold on," I stand so abruptly that I have to catch my balance. "I lived there for three months. How is that possible?"  

"It was spotless. Whoever cleaned it did one hell of a job." Davis shakes his head in amazement. I can tell he can't believe this either. 

Is that why he made me clean? The day before we escaped I cleaned the entire house. And that next day I cleaned before he got home. I was able to go down to the basement and form a plan with Dana. I remember now. After talking to her I prepared dinner then tried to seduce him and escaped with her the next morning. But the kitchen was dirty the morning we left. I know because I was too busy with Ian to clean it. I was focused on trying to seduce him. 

So that's why he said I had ten minutes before Joel got there. Once he un cuffed him they must have cleaned what was left, my footprints, handprints, hair follicles and any other dirt and grime. Oh my God, I'm part of the reason why the evidence is gone. I've been cleaning his mess. That's why he didn't come forth until Halloween night. After visiting me in the hospital in August he went back to his house and spent those two months trying to cover his tracks. But it should still be there. DNA doesn't just disappear.