Chapter Fifteen: City Of Bones: Part One

Lunging forward, I gasped. One long breath left me gazing morbidly across a dark field of burning wood; a wasteland of parched dry branches smoked into the air, turning steadily into ash.

I looked down to my arms, a fusty red had dried thickly on my skin. This time, I couldn't remember anything. Whose blood was this?

"D-Dean!" I stammered, but he was nowhere to be seen.

I limped forward, the smoke forced me to cry. "Dean, where are you? Dean... Help me!"

I looked for him, but what I found didn't belong to him. By my feet, a blood dampened corpse lay, smoking like my surroundings. The seeping clefts that separated the ligaments and joints, made it impossible to tell who it was.

I backed away. Please, I begged to myself. Please, don't be Dean. Had I done it? Had I killed Dean?

"Hey, sleepy head," a voice murmured from behind me. I turned fast, letting my eyes feast on Deans none mutilated body. He'd spoken slow, as if trying to stomach the blood on my arms. "Are you feeling, OK?"

I looked around, coughing.

"What did I do?"

"You..." Dean paused for a moment, stepping over the burnt trees towards me. I took a step back, keeping my distance.

"I killed him didn't I? This mess by my feet, that's Hades, isn't it?"

"It wasn't you, James. The demon inside your body, it went ballistic. You fought with your bare hands and you.... You did that."

"I'm a monster," I said, warning him away. "D-Don't come near me."

"No," Dean refused. "I told you, I'm not leaving you. This thing, it isn't you. You didn't kill anyone."

"But I did... It doesn't matter that I had a demon inside me, I still have blood up my arms."

"We'll find a cure. Together," Dean promised. He pulled me into his chest, stroke my back, but that didn't comforting me. I started to feel nauseous, my stomach turned. "We need to get you cleaned up. I'd take you back to the house, but it's not there anymore. You can wash your arms in the lake."

I was stuck, rooted to the ground, staring at my bloody fingers. "James. It's OK, come on. Lets get that blood off."

"Yeah," I said. "Lets go."

I washed my arms. I brushed the water over them at snails pace. I stared. The blood dripped again now it was wet. Bewildered, I held down the sick down; it was forming in my throat, reaching for an exit.

Oh god, I thought. Oh god, oh god, oh god I couldn't believe it, I'd killed again. This time, knowing I'd used my bare hands to tear someone apart, bothered me to the point of finally throwing up.

"Are you ready to go, babe?" Dean asked, patting my back.

"Yeah." I had shut my eyes. "Lets go. I need to get far away from this place. Where do we go next?

"While you were out, I considered a few places, but with Kia turning us in, I don't trust anyone or anything. Zeus is going to be furious when he finds out both of his brothers are dead, he'll come straight for you. We need a weapon. Something strong. We're going to have to kill Zeus before he kills us. I know of a underground city that has some big fire power, and with it being in the earth,it should be hidden from Zeus. There's an entrance in the rocks, just outside the grounds." 

The gates around the estate had burnt, leaving them a rusty brown. We walked through, eager to stay out of open ground. We took the long way, ducking under the trees that belonged to nature - these hadn't burnt at all, they were healthy. But, when the trees ran out, my heart rate increased.

I didn't want to move.

"We can't," I said. "There has to be another way in, Dean."

"The trees end here. If we run, we'll only be under the clouds for a second. It's right over there, don't worry."

"Fine. But, if we get hit by lightning, it's your fault."

I couldn't see the cave. But, sure enough, a few seconds of running led to a dip in the side of some rocks. It was warm un there, but I couldn't see anything. "Dean," I said. "I'm exhausted, can we stop for a while?"

   "You were on the  floor for an entire day before you woke up. How can you be tired?"

   "I lose energy with a demon inside me. I haven't slept, your witch friend made sure of that."

   "OK," Dean agreed. "Get some sleep before we carry on." As he spoke, I could feel his hands pulling me towards the floor, where we lay .

   "You haven't kissed me since that night you came round to my house."

   "I know... I've been distracted, trying to keep you safe. I haven't even thought of kissing you."

   "Can I have one?"

   I found myself rolling over, I could feel Deans breathe opposite me. He moved close, trying to find my lips, running from my nose down, finally finding then. His lips were freezing. "Do you remember when I said I loved you, back in the other cave?"

   "I remember," Dean replied.

   "Well. I don't think I did, I think I just wanted to. You're the first boy I've been with. You protected me and made me feel safe, I couldn't help but lust for you. But, then I nearly died a hell of a lot and we got separated a few times, and then I got a demon inside of me. Everything is different. Except that, all that lust, it is love. I know I sound cheesey, but I really do love you."

   "I love you too." Dean was pressed against me, one of his arms clawed delicately at my back. "I'm a God. I've been around for a long time, I've been with girls, I've been with boys, hell I think I've even been with a witch or two. And I've never loved anyone or anything as much as I love you. Something just clicked when I brought you back from drowning, all I wanted to feel your lips again after that. Yeah, it is quick., I admit that, but the heart wants what the heart wants."

   "I just want to spend as much time with you as I can," I told him. "If we're going to die, I want to be with you twenty four seven."

   "In the morning, nothing will be easy, James. We're going underground, to a city of fire and scavenger. They have weapons, and they're not likely to give us more than a sword. Zeus will be getting word of his brother's deaths. He's going to have creatures of every kind looking for us. So, we need to be ready, if we want to survive. Get some sleep. Who knows how safe it'll be to close your eyes after Tommorrow."