Chapter Nine: Sea Serpents

I dreamt of fire, lightning and water, all angry and coming for me. Blake stood there behind the raging water. I couldn't believe he was the one who tried to kill me in the pool, and then again last night.

"Can we go?" I groaned boorishly as I woke. I was exhausted, but I didn't want to stay anywhere for too long. Dean nodded and looked out to the sunrise.

"Do you still have that knife?" he asked.

"Yes," I lied. "Why?"

"If you see Poseidon again. Don't even think about it, just slit his throat!"

"Are you OK?" I wrapped my arms around his body and kissed his neck.

"I just came so close to losing you," he said. "I can't... I can't lose you."

We watched the sunrise for a minute, not thinking, not even speaking. The smell of smoke from the dead fire behind us, wafted into the air.

"You won't lose me."

The hike down the road was hard. I hardly had any energy, and it felt like I hadn't eaten in so long. But food was the last thing on my mind. "Where are we going, Dean?" I asked.

"I haven't got anywhere in particular to go. I'm taking you to the next safe place I can think of. It's not far away to the coast, we can get a ferry there."

"A ferry?" I questioned. "Are you sute that's wise? Water. That's all around when you're on a ferry. Blake could just tip the boat over as soon as we get on. Shouldn't we avoid the water from now on?"

"He won't be a problem. Trust me."

"Why not?'

"Just trust me," he said. "I've looked after you this long, haven't I? I wouldn't walk you into danger if I can help it."

"I know, I'm just worried. He attacked yesterday, and there wasn't even any water. He had control of the clouds."

"Listen to me, James. You're going to be OK. Whatever happens, youll be OK."

It was only an hour or so walk to where Dean had been talking about, on the other side of the mountains. The sand glimmered an almost white color, it was soft like snow. I walked hand in hand with Dean, the sun was warm in the sky but the mountains gave plenty of shade. Dean's inner charm was burning through. "You're gorgeous," he said.

"I know it's not meant to be a good thing, having to leave and trek through mountain paths. But, look where we are. It's the type of place couples come on honeymoons," I smiled, trying to awkwardly bury my shyness.

"After all this is over, I'll take you to places like you've never seen before. Places full of magic, where me and you can be alone."

"I'd like that."

"The ferry will be here soon. Here, I have something for you," Dean said, pulling a necklace out of his jeans. It was a veined, purple rock hung from a seashell chain. He put it over my neck and stood back to examine it. "There's your protection. This necklace makes you invisible to Poseidon and any water based creatures. It belonged to a mermaid called Murielle, she used it to swim past sharks and predators. While you were sleeping, I went to find her on this beach. The necklace had the power to hide her from sea creatures, but not sailors. Caught in a net, she had screamed for help from the gods. Poseidon couldn't see or here her, due to the power of the necklace. Taking pity, I rescued her. When I asked her for the necklace this morning, she didn't want to give it up. I explained about you and she gave it over. Now, she'll be exposed to the dangers of the sea. But, mermaids, although cold of heart, have a soft spot for love. Often, they drown a sailor to ease their loneliness. However, they've also been known to pity a wife and husband, or young lovers, who are drowning. Now, Poseidon won't be able to see or sense you even if you're standing right next to him."