Chapter Fifteen: City Of Bones - Part Two

------

I apologize for everything in this chapter. I haven't been too well, so the description isn't that good, and I don't expect the grammar to be any better. I'll come back and edit at the end.

------

"Are you ready for this?" Dean asked.

We stood facing the wall of the cave, morning had just hit. The heat I had felt last night was coming from the stone, it was hotter now it was daytime.

"Ready for what exactly?" I sent him a delicate look as I stood by his side.

The grey had started to melt away, it widening into a jagged frame, revealing a set of stairs which disappeared into the darkness below. We could hear metal clanging down there. "What's down there?"

"You'll see," Dean said, stepping down a step slowly. I followed. "Just watch where you put your feet, potholes in this place will land you in the monsters pit."

Don't fall, I told myself. Please don't fall. I couldn't see anything but black, I didn't know how many holes were lying around. After minutes of descending, a faint glow burnt into view. The further down we got, the harder it was to catch my breathe; the air was lined with smoke which licked at my lungs.

The glow magnified as we got closer. The hot blurs had solidified into a hustling city made from bending shacks and wooden huts.

People were drifting about casually, the skin on their top halves were open and exposed - the men weren't wearing shirts, and the woman only had tight bandaged over their breasts.

"People. These are people," I exclaimed. "They're human."

"Looks can be deceiving."

"They're not human?"

"Not exactly, no."

They looked human to me. Walking through the crowds, I looked closely, but there was nothing out of the ordinary on their bodies. All their limbs were where they should've been. The only other difference wasn't inhuman; all of their eyes were more dominant and colorful, they were bright and full of life. They didn't even notice that we were amongst them.

"Are we invisible?" I asked. "Nobody seems to care that we're here."

"No, they can see us. They just don't think we're a threat. You can only come here with an invite, so anyone you see is welcome here. I was invited long ago."

"I wasn't."

"I'm a god. Anyone by my side is trusted, and they know I'd defend them if any threat managed to worm in here with me."

Dean led me down a side alley, following a stream of people who filtered into the city centre. More shirtless men stood in the centre, these were dancing, drawing gold and silver lines into the air. Fire screamed through the air, rising from their mouths, the flames crackled, twisting into winged shapes like dragons and phoenix's.

We pushed to the front. "I told you they wernt human. No human can do that, can they?"

"No wonder you like it here," I laughed with amazement. "It's like a half naked carnival!"

I watched in amazement as the men propelled themselves through the air. They rose with such grace, their muscles were shining with sweat . One landed in front of me, letting his silver eyes examine me as he stood from his animal like crouch. The music blared even louder the background as he edged back to join his group.

"Come on. We need to go," Dean said. But I didn't want to. These men were doing things I'd never seen before. "James, come on."