Chapter Fourteen: Snake Eyes

My eyes were fixed on the road, longing to get away. I didn't know where to go, all I knew was, I felt drained. A demon had taken over my body, using my aspirations, thoughts and feelings, magnifying all of them to the extreme. Now, back in the drivers seat I could tell my body had been both overworked and overused.

The police, along with a train of ambulances and fire trucks raced by. I knew they were going to the wreck I had just caused. Gods, demons. Why had my life changed?

I held my hand out, hoping someone would stop. It took a while, it was like I was invisible.

"Need a lift somewhere?" a man finally said, pulling up to me in an old, black truck.. He let his head lean towards me, looking me up and down with concern.

"Just take me as far as you can," I told him, wobbling towards the door.

The man leaped out, steadying me. He held my weak body up, helping me into the other side of his vehicle.

"Do you need me to take you to hospital? You look like you've just been attacked by a wolf!"

"Yes."

The hospital was a craggy blur when we arrived. The focus in my eyes kept on altering, I felt like I was half there, and half somewhere else. The pain wasn't bad, it was more of a sick and helpless feeling that had possessed my body, like I would pass out at any point.

"Can someone help?' the man called, trying to adjust his baseball cap, whilst trying to keep me standing at the same time.

"What happened?" a nurse questioned, taking my other side with as much force as she could.

"I found him by the side of the road. He wanted a lift, but, he got worse and worse with each minute. I think he came from that Sea World accident, he was near that area when I passed. I heard about it in the radio, they said there was an giant explosion.

"Over here, can we get a wheelchair please?" Two more nurses rushed over, lowering me into a wheelchair. "Can you wait over there, sir. A nurse will come by to ask you some more questions soon."

I tried to stay awake, but every now and again, I found myself blacking out for a few seconds. "Try to stay awake," a voice instructed in my ear. "Come on, stay awake."

From then on, I only heard what was being said around me. I was so far gone, it all felt like a dream.

"What's the situation?"

"Multiple lacerations across the chest and neck, puncture wounds on the back, and second degree burns on the leg area."

"What's his condition?"

"Stable, Doctor. Besides fainting and loss of consciousness, the patient doesn't seem to be able to feel any of the wounds. He's been prepped and is ready."

*

"James," a voice whispered. "James, are you awake?"

I opened my eyes, blinking against the light. It took a few moments before I could see who was sitting before me. "Babe, are you OK?

"Dean?"

"Yes, it's me, James."

"You found me," I muttered. I felt his hand close tightly on mine. "W-What happened?"

"I woke up on the beach, the minotaur had found me food from the ship. He told me, in his animal tongue, what happened, and that you went with Poseidon. I thought that was it. I thought I had finally lost you, but, when I went to an oracle, she told me to come to this hospital. She told me the ward number, and said you escaped. It took me a few days, but you were still out when I got here."