Chapter Seven: Don't Touch Him

Leaves capered across the forest floor, I watched them as we walked. They fell into slits and potholes. That's what I felt like. Trapped. Dean had told me that we had to keep moving, that even days away from my burnt home, I still wasn't safe. "These gods, unlike me, have ways of traveling," he said. "Be wary of water, be wary of the sky, just stay wary. We look like you, you don't know what you're talking to."

Birds flew overhead, scattering through the trees. My heart leapt to my mouth, everything that moved startled me. Even staring down bare pathways sent chills down my spine. "Here, take this." Dean handed me his knife. "Put it somewhere safe."

"I thought you'd be able to make axes out of thin air or something, being the God of war," I said, wading deeper into the forest.

"I used to. I got bored of the other gods and that lifestyle. I decided to live a normal life and age, and enjoy simple things like burgers."

"So, you have no powers?'

"I'm still strong.  I can wield most weapons, but my more powerful abilities, I gave them up when I came to college. I didn't think I'd have to worry about my life in Olympus, but it won't leave me alone. It won't leave you alone. I'm starting to think this is all my fault, that I dragged you into this world."

"Forget about it," I said, increasing the speed of my stride. I didn't like it in this forest. "We can handle it. Me and you, we can get through this."

"If I don't get you killed first," Dean said. "Stop walking so fast, I don't want you to go out of my sight!'

"Im fine, don't worry. I'm not stupid -"

Rocks crumpled beneath my feet and I tipped forward. Just outside the trees, a large dreary cliff had awaited me and I'd just walked over the edge.

Dean pulled me back immediately.

"You were saying?" he grunted. "James, you're going to get yourself killed! Please, be careful."

I looked down over the edge, squinting at how high up we were. If Dean wasn't there, there would have been no way I would have survived. "We need to find another way down."

"Can't we climb?" I suggested. "I've always been good at rock climbing. Never fallen."

"No! You're a walking risk hazard, you're not climbing down the big drop you just nearly fell off."

"Unless you can fly, we're climbing."

"Fine. But I'm going first, and you're going to take it slow, there's no rope holding you up. If you fall, you're dead," Dean warned me, lowering himself down the face of the cliff. He climbed pretty quick without even slipping in the slightest. When it was my turn, black clouds had started to appear above, all grisly and wet, poisoning the whole sky. Watch out for lightning, I reminded myself, cowering over the side of the rock.

I took it slower than slow. "Be careful, James!"

"Don't shout, you're just going to make me nervous," I called back, not even daring to look down for more than a few seconds.

The thick clouds screamed with thunder, flashing angrily. That made me speed up. Bit by bit, I decreased towards the floor, watching the hellish clouds. I finally made it to the bottom, where Dean pulled me into a hug. "Is that Zeus?"

"I think so. This is Gods Rock, no fighting is allowed here. That's why I made it one of my respawning spots," Dean said. "Lets keep going. Those clouds look like we've overstayed our welcome."

"If it's safe, can't we stay?"

"No fighting is allowed here. But, something tells me that won't be the case if we try to stay."

Hours away, isolated from trees and plants, at the side of the road, we found an old bar. It sat there, looking like it was ready to collapse. It's time eroded wood looked weak - not the best place to hide out, a human could have blown it down, never mind a god. We entered through the bleached door.

Inside, the almost silent population consisted of a few drunk men playing darts and half awake bartenders, they all turned their heads to us. I bet they wernt expecting boys our age

"Stay close to me," I whispered to Dean.

"Don't worry," he whispered back, fixing the buttons on his shirt. "I won't."

One of the bartenders hopped from his lazed state of mind and slithered over to us. The look of desperateness brewed in his small eyes.

"What will you boys have?" he asked.

"Two beers, whatever you have," Dean told him. The man walked away to fetch us them, not caring if we were old enough, which we were.

Dean payed the vying man for the beers. I hadn't had any time to grab money when Hades attacked my house. All I owned, besides the clothes I was wearing, was the knife Dean had given me. "We won't stay here long. It's starting to get dark outside, we'll leave after our drinks. I know somewhere we can stay."

"My feet feel like they're going to drop off!"

"I know. It's not far away, though, and then you can sleep."

"We're in the middle of nowhere, where is this place? The side of a cave?"

"Maybe," Dean said. I didn't like the look on his face when he had answered. It confirmed my rather bleak suggestion.

When we had finished our drinks ten minutes later, we were about to leave. We'd stood, when I noticed someone at the bar. I recognized his blonde hair and obnoxious face straight away.

Blake.

"What are you doing here?" I asked him.

"James?" he said, sounding astounded by my appearance. His frisky smile looked me up and down. "How did you get here?"

"You know him?" Dean asked, moving closer to me.

"Yeah. I gave him a tour of the college the night before you saved me," I told him, turning my attention back to Blake.

"Would you like a drink? He said, offering me a seat. "I'll buy your mate one too."

"James," Dean said, tugging on my sleeve. He leant into my ear, turning his head away from Blake. "We're about five days drive from your town. How did he get here in less two?"

"Blake. I'm sorry, but we have to go," I told him, hurrying away with Dean grasping my hand.

"Wait a second," Blake said to himself. "Ares?"

Water fleeted from out of the floorboards. It stirred into a wall of ice, blocking the exit. Everyone stared, mumbling to each other. "I thought I recognized you. Don't you recognize me?"

Dean swallowed hard.

"Poseidon?"