Chapter 17: Snake Bite

I apologise for this lame, and short chapter. As you can see, sometimes the chapter is longer and full of creativity and descriptions... and sometimes it's like this...

The creatures eyes saw me coming a mile off; my reflection swirled in their evil glow, but it focused on the threat at hand, hissing and rearing back.

"Leno!" I called.

The snake launched forward just as he turned to see me. Unable to move now, he rose in the creatures jaws, shaken side to side violently, letting its teeth pierce his body, before throwing him to the sand, where he squirmed in agony. I rushed into the sand cloud, but found myself confronted with the creature. Its noxious gaze had fallen upon me long before the beige mist died.

It didn't attack; its head curled and turned as if it was studying me.

Why, I wondered, did it not seem so keen on attacking? It hadn't been interested in me before, what stopped me from being an instant meal?

I stumbled on a rock, losing my balance for only a second. But, within that second, I knew i'd made a mistake. The air had almost gone silent to warn me of the bloodstained fangs that were heading my way.

I almost tripped into a run, just skimming the snapping jaws. But the creature had more than a more, and its unseen weapon swung into my side, propelling me far across the bone arena, and far away from my sword.

I was gasping for air, winded badly, but only swallowing thee bleary grains of sand. My body wouldn't get off the ground, but the muscles shuddered. They knew I needed to be on my feet. Any second, a head of scales could dive upon me and swallow me whole.

   Managing to finally stand, slowly but surely, I saw how far i'd be thrown; Leno was just a small dot in the distance, and one I needed to get to. But, that wasn't the worst thing on the plate.

   Where was the snake?

   Under the firm sun, my body cast a long shadow. There, beneath me, the ground began to jitter. Taking shelter in the dry bones of a fallen creature, bigger than the snake, I watched it explode from the sand, angry that it hadn't fooled me. Its teeth snapped through the bones with each second, leaving me to scamper further back and out the other end.

 I had no sword. No weapon at all. I couldn't keep running, my legs couldn't take it much longer; in a limp, I began to scale to rockside, grunting in pain. Adrenaline threw me over the edge, just as the snake had clocked onto my location.

    I was just out of reach, but I knew that didn't mean I was safe.

   I could climb higher, but there were no footholds; it was a pretty steep slope, and I couldn't risk losing my balance.

   I could climb higher, but there were no footholds; it was a pretty steep slope, and I couldn't risk losing my balance. But, if I stayed were I was, there was still a chance of becoming snake food. I didn't know what this thing was capable of. It'd find a way up here.

I didn't sit and think, I just threw myself over the snakes head, using its long back as a slide. Wiliing my legs to run for the last time, I ran towards the sun, fading into the invisable wall.

The creature followed, but as soon as I had been turned around, I stepped back again, and again, and again, and again.

The repatative action caused quite the feeling. Light bashed my eyes, as the mystical energy buzzed on my skin, twisting my stomach every time I entered. I didn't know what this would achieve, I just thought the monster would give up if it couldn't find me. And, it did. I saw it slithering into the distance, sweeping Leno's body up in a quick a vague motion, dragging it back into the caves.