Chapter Six: Keep Me Safe

I threw the house keys at Dean.

"Why you giving me these?" he squawked in surprise, using his quick reflexes to his aid.

"I need to go check the garage," I said. "Just let yourself in. I won't be long."

I knew my father wouldn't be happy about me giving my keys to someone. He told me that I couldn't trust anyone but myself, and from the state of the garage, it was clear that he hadn't been looking after himself very well - bottles of beer, by the hundreds, lay across the floor. He had been drinking more than he'd let on. "Comfortable?" I asked Dean as I came through the front door.

"Yeah," he said, as if he was distracted. He took a long gander at the hallway, and then into the living room, and then into the kitchen.

"What are you looking for?" I asked.

"Just checking we're alone."

"Alone?" I laughed, turning him around. "It's my house, my dads gone, no one else is going to be here. Just calm down, Dean."

He started laughing too. His clean comb over dropped a few stray hairs towards his eyes.

"I was just checking. It's better to be safe than sorry, you know."

"I suppose."

"So, where am I sleeping?"

"Follow me."

I thought it'd take me a while to adjust to all the new information; finding out about the reality of Gods, and even though I knew it was true, I was hoping it was all one big game. Things made sense now. It explained how Dean was so strong, even if I had thought he was just a pro champ boxer or something. "I'm sorry, there's no spare rooms. I'd let you sleep in my dads, but he'd flip if he came back."

"Do you want me to take the floor then?" he asked as we walked into my bedroom.

"Course not," I said. "We can just stay up. I want to know more about you anyway."

I shook my head. "No college Tommorrow. I need the day off."

The night didn't consist of much talking. When it came to it, I didn't know what to ask. "Do you live in the clouds" wasn't the type of thing to keep a conversation alive. I resisted asking questions like this. I didn't know much about mythology, only what I'd seen on Tv, which I hardly had time to watch with my hard training schedule.

I took in a slow breathe and realized the air quietly.

"James," Dean said. "There's something else I need to tell you."

"Dean. I really don't think can handle any more... I've changed my mind. The less I know, the better."

"It's not about me as such. It's more about you."

"Me?" I asked, watching him closely. He edged closer.

"You're really good at sports."

"Thanks?"

"And, you work really hard. You get up after being knocked down, and your competitive." I couldn't see where he was going with this, but as he edged even closer, I found myself unable to move. "You're..."

"I'm what?" I whispered into the air. His face was centre meters away from mine now. I wasn't expecting it to tilt and come even closer.

"Perfect," he said, planting his lips softly onto mine. At first I was flabbergasted and I wasn't quite sure what was happening, but then I found myself kissing him back. My head span on the inside and I seemed to loose my breathe. Pulling away, I watched him with surprised eyes.