Chapter Fifteen: City Of Bones - Part Three

------

   This is another really short chapter. Sorry about this guys, I'm back in college and am shooting so often it's hard to get the inspiration and time for a decent chapter. As you may have noticed,  chapter fifteen has a few parts to it - Well, that's to break it up for you, so you have enough to read. When the book is finished, all of those parts shall merge into one simple chapter.

   Still... I'm swimming against the writers block. Words of encouragment would be great, thanks!

------

I watched Leno stare at me, a thin light spread across his face. It was as if he was plotting against me, unsure of wether I'd attack him again.

   "He was in the water with me when you found me, but he didn't come to the surface. Is there anywhere else it could have taken him?" I asked.

"Well. I found you in the fountain," he sketched out in his head. "If he wasn't there with you, he'll be where all the water ends up."

"Where does all the water end up?"

Leno laughed. "The flood room. But, if he's been in there as long as you say, he'll have drowned long ago."

"Take me there now!"

Every second, turning corners, ducking down sets of concrete stairs, I spent thinking about Dean. The idea that he would be dead was fixed in my mind, I just wanted to find him. I'd already nearly lost him so many times, I needed to know if he was OK, even if all the information pointed to an opposite conclusion.

   Water wept down the street walls, where it steamed into the air. The smell of salt crawled through my nostrils. Leno didn't talk to me, he didn't say anything, he just kept on glancing back every now and again. Every time he turned, I could see him thinking.

Could I trust him? After all, he had forced me to stay, made me sleep with him, and feasted upon human flesh at the foot of his bed. He'd told me I was the perfect mate for him. Who knew what he'd do to keep me there?

I made sure I was a few steps behind him l, incase I needed to bolt away. The part of the city we'd ventured into was gross and dark, there was hardly any light.

"It's on the other side if this door," Leno said. He shifted from his position to show me the metal wall that hid me from Dean. A rusty ladder ran up the side. "Alive or dead, you'll find him up there. I'll leave you to it."

"What? You're not going to help me?"

"You want him. It doesn't matter that I'm here, offering you a lifetime of love and passion. You still want him. So, you go get him. But don't come crying to me if he's dead."

I stepped forward, quickly grasping the yellowed ladder. Step by step, I pulled myself up to the top. From there I could see a room flowing with water, a large pump made the water swirl round and round. At first, I couldn't see anyone. Then, slightly off centre, I spotted Dean, he was weakly bent over one of the silver pipes, he was half conscious.

"Dean!" I shouted.

He didn't look up. My instincts launched me towards him, fighting the weak whirlpool to get to his side. "Dean, are you OK?"

"J-James?" he stuttered. "I-Im s-so cold."

"I'm going to get you out of here, Dean. Grab onto me, there's a ladder, I should be able to get you up to it if you climb on my shoulders."

"I can't. I'm too weak."

"Leno!" I shouted. "Leno, can you hear me? Are you still there? I need help. We're stuck in here."

A grinding noise shocked me into a tighter clutch on Dean. It came with a rigid varnish, pulling the water into a slit that had opened in the wall. Fresh water gushed in. Dean had no energy left, it was up to me to keep hold of the pipes, whilst trying to hold onto him. "Leno, help! Please, Leno, we need help!"

   Holding on for both our lives, I closed my eyes. The skin on my hands had frozen to the rust, I could feel it shredding my hand as I increased the pressure. 

   I screamed in pain, losing my grip finger by finger. Blood raced over my hands.

   "I can't see," Dean huffed, his eyes were sealing shit. "It's s-so cold."

   "Stay awake, Dean! Come on, we're going to get out of here. Just keep your eyes open... Dean!"