Chapter 25

"What the hell?"

For what seemed like months, only the loud pattering of rain could be heard.

Agent Powers stared at the bathroom floor, dumbfounded and unsure of what his eyes were showing him. Powers shook his head, stepping away from the door. This had to be a dream. It was one. But if it wasn't, this town was a lot more unusual then he had initially predicted it to be.

He sat on a dingy bed, putting a hand to his forehead. He was seeing things. Going crazy. That was it. Otherwise how was he supposed to explain the fucked up thing lying right on the bathroom floor?

First the strange winged lion man.

Then the two headed mutant.

Now Jeffery.

He would do this for Jeffery. After all he had seen worse things in all his years of working for government. However, blood and severe injuries seemed minuscule problems to the ones of this town.

Powers stood up, again heading towards the bathroom. He walked in, once again coming to face with the creature...Trigger. Carefully, he kneeled down, not knowing which part of the body to rub in order to awaken the thing.

He settled for what seemed to be his partner's shoulder, rubbing it as gently as he could. "Trigger," he called sharply, rubbing the body more harshly. "Jeff." Powers grumbled when the man didn't wake up. "Wake the hell up, Jeff!" He barked, practically punching the blonde.

"Owwww..." the uh, former man moaned, his voice muffled. "What happened? I feel more hungover than the day after my senior prom back in '91."

"You were never drunk, dumbass," Powers deadpanned. "I don't even know if you can get drunk anymore," he thought aloud, quieter.

Trigger made a strangled noise. "I-I—what? What do–what the—what are you talking about?"

Powers ignored that. "Sit up."

"Why?" Trigger whined. "I feel really sick and my hair looks terrible!"

"Sit up before I rip your fucking spine out!" Powers barked, breathing heavily. He didn't quite want to admit it, but all of this was feeling very real. And leaving the man very scared.

"Alright, alright!" Trigger mumbled, beginning to push himself up. "Whatever you say!" When he was fully extended, whenever that was, Powers was already fixated on him, dumbfounded. "It's bad, isn't it?" Trigger mumbled, referring to his hair, which was in fact the least of his problems.

Agent Powers' eyes were as wide as saucers as he focused on his partner, his eyes darting from place to place. The only thing that told him that this was Trigger was the ripped up suit, the one that thankfully, still had his name tag on it. After staring at his face for minutes, he began realizing that most of his facial features–the recognizable ones–were still intact. As well as his ever-annoying hair.

"What are you staring at?" Trigger asked, still very much oblivious. "My hair can't possibly look that bad."

Powers shook his head, removing himself from his trance. He had to be calm for Trigger. "You really want to know?" He was going to have to find out anyway.