5: To the Nearest Rainbow

"MABEL!" Dipper shouted as he ran into the attic. Skidding to a stop and almost falling at Mabel's bed, his eyes widened when he saw her. A golden, glittering horn had grown at her hairline, at least the size of his pointer finger, Slowly and carefully, the cervitaur removed the blanket from Mabel's lower half, and he caught sight of her new legs. Four legs, much like his, except these were more horse-like, with pink hooves, a white coat of fur, and a pink underbelly. "Unicorn," he gasped, eyes widening. Quietly, he inched closer to her horn, intrigued. Could she do magic? Did any parts of her have magical properties? Did she barf rainbows like gnomes? We'll just have to find out, Dipper thought, rubbing her shoulder and noting her horse-like ears.

Mabel's eyes fluttered open, focusing on the cervitaur leaning above her. "Dipper? What's wrong?" She yawned, stretching. "Why am I so tired?" The girl put a hand on her head, bolting upright when she felt the horn protruding from her forehead. "AHHHHH!" She gasped. "Dipper! What's wrong with me? Am I a narwhal?"

Dipper smiled awkwardly. "Not...not exactly."

Mabel furrowed her brows. "What do you--"

The boy grimaced. "Look down."

Mabel tilted her head, and the lower she got, the more afraid she looked. "WHAT THE HECK!" She yelled, trying to step off of the bed but landing on her face. The girl shakily looked up at her brother, a terrified look on her face. "Wha--what happened to me?"

Dipper reached his hand out to pick Mabel up. "The same thing that happened to me, unfortunately."

"And what is--oof!" Mabel's eyes widened as she stood up, tipping over but catching herself on Dipper's shoulder, which resulted in her poking his ear with her horn.

"Owww..." he mumbled, rubbing the spot on his cheek where the horn had pricked him. "Watch where you put that thing!"

She chuckled awkwardly. "Alright. This is okay, this is normal--" Mabel paused, turning to face her brother. "I'm not dreaming, right?" The half-unicorn laughed. "Cause if I was, this would be a pretty realistic dream!"

Dipper laughed back, shaking his head. "Nope. But I sure wish it was a dream! I'll never get the hang of these things," he replied, gesturing to his legs.

Mabel smiled nervously, taking a step. "Y'know, this actually isn't so bad! I'm a unicorn!" She trotted over closer to the end of her bed, thrusting her head out. "Let's see if I have magical unicorn powers!"

Dipper grimaced. "Just don't burn the house down."

Mabel turned her head around to look at her brother. "Won't, Dip Dop!" Turning her head back around, she focused on a vase in the storage area near the door, trying to get it to explode, or turn into a rainbow or...something. For a few minutes she stood there, waiting for something to happen, until loud music stared playing, blaring in her ears, causing the girl to yelp and fall onto the ground. Plugging her ears, Mabel stayed on the ground, but the music wouldn't stop. It wouldn't even be muffled by how hard she plugged her ears. Moaning, she had enough and yelled: "STOP!"

Abruptly, the music stopped, leaving the half-unicorn on the floor plugging her ears. She heard hooves clacking closer to her, seeing Dipper appear in her eye line.

He looked at her weirdly. "I think that was... you!"

Mabel blinked, uncovering her ears. "What?"

"I think you were playing the music!"

The girl looked at her brother. "Me?" She grabbed Dipper's hand, standing up. Her eyes widened. "So I can play music?" She smiled, getting excited. "Whoa." Mabel grinned, hugging her brother, being careful of her horn. Pulling away, she put her hands on her hips. "So I'm a unicorn, I have an awesome, glittery horn, and I can play music?" She concentrated, starting the music up again. Grinning, Mabel nudged her brother with her horn.