14: Weird Clay Antics

"Dipper!" Mabel called, trotting into their attic bedroom. She smiled as she spotted her brother sitting by his bed surrounded by Wendy and Soos.

"Mabel?" He gaped, mouth wide open. She'd been gone for almost a day now, and Wendy and him were just talking about going to find her, and now they didn't have to. Standing up, still shakily but not as shakily as he had been, Dipper wrapped his arms around his sister. "Why'd you leave?" Mabel was about to talk, but her brother interrupted her before she could get a word out. "It was Grunkle Stan, wasn't it?" He asked, pulling away. Mabel had seemed pretty concerned for their uncle, looking at him sadly every time he made conversation.

The half-unicorn looked down. "Yeah. Sorry I left without telling you, Dipper," she apologized, scratching the back of her neck.

Dipper smiled, patting her on the shoulder. "It's ok. You don't have to apologize, Mabes," he said, turning back to Soos and Wendy.

Soos raised his eyebrows. "So...what I'm hearing is...no epic rescue mission?"

Dipper shook his head, chuckling. "No, Soos," he explained, grabbing his pen out of his vest. "But now we've got another mission."

Mabel's eyes went wide. "Drinking pickle juice straight from the jar?"

The cervitaur furrowed his brows. "Uh, no?"

"Shooting whipped cream all over Grunkle Ford's bedroom?"

"No!" Dipper shot back, eyebrows raised. He huffed, composing himself. "We all wanna change back, right?"

Wendy nodded. "Definitely. You know, the movies lied. Being a werewolf doesn't involve a love triangle. Whatsoever," the teen remarked, referencing one of Mabel's favourite novel turned movie: Moonlight: A Story About a Girl Falling in Love with a Vampire but to Their Dismay Creating a Love Triangle with Another Vampire and then a Werewolf.

Dipper smiled. "And Soos? I'm guessing you want to change back too, right?" He asked, fairly certain the clay golem would agree.

Soos chuckled, raising a gooey arm. "You know, being a clay-dude is pretty cool and all, but I'd rather not have to worry about melting into whatever I'm sitting on, ya' see?"

The cervitaur grinned, stomping a hoof. "Okay, so we all agree. Perfect!" He trotted over to the end of his bed to grab a notebook. "So, we all know that the river that Stan got the water from did this to us, so that's out of the way," he mumbled, scribbling a few notes down. "We should probably try and find out why the river's cursed."

Mabel groaned. "Now we're back to the boring stuff again. Can't we just do something fun?"

Dipper shook his head. "Not until we change back, Mabel."

Mabel furrowed her brows, stomping a pink, glittering hoof in anger. "But--that could take forever! It could take weeks and then we'd have to go home!"

The cervitaur stopped writing. Mabel was right. Plus, he wasn't the only one looking for a cure, right? Grunkle Ford was too. "Alright, Mabel. What do you want to do?"

The half-unicorn smiled. "Oh, you'll see, Bro-Bro. You'll see."

"Mabel, I said no!" The cervitaur argued as he was dragged outside by his half-unicorn sister.

"C'mon, Dipper! It'll be fun!" While in the attic, Mabel had come up with the great idea that required them both to race. She wanted to see which one of them was faster.

Dipper groaned, crossing his arms. "This is a terrible idea," he complained, scratching his left cheek. He was pretty sure Grunkle Stan didn't want the two of them going outside, considering their situation. "Are we even allowed to go outside?"