10: Runaways and Popcorn

Standing in his bedroom, Stan groaned as he attempted to slide his suit jacket on over his wings. He'd been able to get his pants on over his tail, but the jacket was a whole other story. His wings were maybe three inches longer then his arms, and sliding them through the hole that had ripped when he'd first transformed (He'd payed over fifty dollars for this suit and now it was ruined? Good grief.) was one of the toughest jobs he'd ever done. But Stan had done it. Buttoning the jacket up, he could hear the fabric in the back ripping more as he moved around. Stanley groaned. Why did his brother have to run away at the dumbest of times? He'd rather not step a foot outside of the Shack like this, but unfortunately, Ford had made that impossible. Stan moaned, pinching the bridge of his nose. He had a pounding headache from all the stress and worrying.

Walking down the stairs, Stan heard Mabel talking. Something about unicorn magic or whatever. He smiled slightly. Give it to the kid for making him happy at at time like this. Pausing at the living room, he saw Mabel catch sight of him. Quickly, he walked into the gift shop, pulling open the door. Looking back, he sighed. He really didn't want to do this. Turning around, Stan walked out of the Mystery Shack. He thought he was alone.

But little did he know, someone had followed him.

Mabel had seen Stan leaving, and was able to get away from the TV without too much questions being asked. She'd grabbed her bag, some supplies, and headed out the gift shop door. And here she was, walking in front of the Shack, trying to figure out which way to go. Her uncle obviously didn't leave any foot prints, and that was basically the only thing that the half-unicorn knew about tracking. That and GPS, but still. Mabel groaned, stomping her right hoof. She had no idea where to even start looking for Stan! She turned around, ready to go inside...until she heard something. And then saw something. A bright pink light was illuminating straight in front of her. Mabel's eyes widened. Is that a path? She wondered, slowly walking towards it.

Mabel was deep into the forest now, and it had gotten way darker then it was before, sunset approaching. Stopping, she concentrated, making her horn glow a soft yellow light. She shivered. I sure hope unicorns don't attract anything bad, she thought, looking around. Perking up, Mabel stepped over a rotting tree trunk. Oh well. She'd be back to the Shack by dark, right?

It was dark now, and Mabel was tired, hungry, and most of all: worried. She didn't know where she was, or what time it was--and she just needed to get home! She couldn't walk for much longer.
Hearing a noise, the half-unicorn paused. It was breathing. In, out. In, out. Mabel snickered. It sounded like someone was snoring! Walking forwards, the girl discovered she was in a hidden clearing. Furrowing her eyebrows, she directed the light from her horn towards the ground. Mabel squinted. Something large and...grey was lying on the floor. Was that a...rock? She trotted closer. Eyes widening, she giggled. Finally! It was Stan!
Sitting down, she shook her uncle's shoulder. "Grunkle Stan," she whispered.

The gargoyle flinched, his eyes fluttering open. "M-mabel?"

She smiled. "I found you!"

Stan jerked up, scratching his head. "What? No, no, kid!" He slapped his forehead. "You followed me?"

Mabel stood up, nodding. "Uh-huh! I wanted to help you!"

Stan stood up, groaning. "Listen, sweetie, I uh, I love you and all, but it's a little bit dangerous for you to be out here."

Mabel frowned. "But me and Dipper come out here all the time! And I'm even safer now! I have unicorn powers!" She explained, making her horn shine brighter.

Stan huffed, rubbing his temples. "Ok, ok, fine! You can come with me."

The half-unicorn smiled. "Thanks, Grunkle Stan!" She exclaimed, hugging the gargoyle.