Chapter 14: Snake Eyes - Part Two.

She passed the door while I was drifting asleep, I saw her black dress flash by, candle in hand. Dean had left the door open so he could check on me, which he hadn't done yet. The fatigue in my body wanted to stay snug, wrapped up in the silk sheets, but curiousity got the best of me.

Kia was quite far ahead in the stately hall, she ducked into the shadows down a side passage. I followed her, trying to keep her candle light in sight. Only strands of moonlight could work through the glass windows, but that was only just enough light to see the floor in illuminated beams.

She took the stairs to the top floor, they curled round sharply. It was hard to climb the stairs in such a tired state, so I took it slow.

At the top, I pushed the door open, letting it creak into the cold night air. Kia was crouched down near the edge, her pale body knelt near the edge of the rooftop. What was she doing? Was she going to jump?

"Kia?" I called, stepping towards her. "What are you doing?'

She turned rigidly, watching me without a word as I walked over. She was looking at me, but I could see the anger burning in her eyes.

"You shouldn't have followed me," she hissed, rising to her feet. A knife tipped with blood dripped by her side, her arm held the slit. "You should have stayed in bed."

"You're bleeding..."

"I can't believe you," Kia continued. "You, an arrogant human, can warm a Gods heart and seal his fate. Things were fine before you came along."

I could feel the cold air dropping, it had cast a cruel frost across the concrete, climbing up Kia's legs and up to her face. She held her hand out flat, sending me onto my back.

"What are you doing?" I questioned, trying to stand up, but her power kept me there.

"What am I doing? I'm telling Hades were you are. Right now, he's on his way, probably with all his hounds. There's a bounty on you head, every witch knows it. Hades' isn't happy that you killed his brother."

"I thought you and Dean were friends? You helped me out of the hospital, why would you do this?"

"Because," Kia said, "I could use the invite to Olympus. That's what this gains me, one ticket to living like a god! When I heard the God of War was protecting the person responsible for Poseidon's death, I found him. I put on a nice act and you stupid boys fell for it. Sure, I'll be sad about his death, but I'd do anything to serve the Gods. Anything."

At that moment, Dean had arrived. He looked betrayed, but more than that, furious.

"I should've known it!" he spat. "No witch converts. Satin whore, let him go!"

"I'm sorry but it seems you both have another appointment to attend to."

With a harsh flick of her wrist, my body was ripped from the floor and sent to four stories down, where I skimmed the grass like a stone. The grass was soaking, I could feel my clothes in the wet mud instantly.

Trying to get to my feet, I glanced up to the roof. It was empty. Dazed, it took a moment to absorb the recent event.

When I looked around, something was moving in the grass. Two or three something's. Their winding jaws snapped at the air, their stale drool burnt the grass black. I tried to digest what I saw, but I knew I had to run, and run as fast as I could.

Dean had the doors open, waiting for me.

"Run, James!" he called.

I was running as hard and fast as I could, trying to stay upright. I knew the hellhounds where on my tail, waiting to rip me to shreds.

Bursting into the building, Dean slammed the doors. The hellhounds crashed against the other side, causing them to shake. Their growls got louder and louder. "This won't hold, come on!"

As we ran, windows detonated and fire took over the furniture. Through the burning rooms, being dragged by Deans hand, I tried to catch my breath, but there was no time. The kitchen walls had shattered, letting more hounds in from both sides.

We were running for the back door, soon breaking out onto the wood bridge, attempting to cross the lake. The blaze from the house didn't stay still behind us, instead, it fired fiery comets from the structure, they boiled and hissed in the water, only barely missing us.

My heart was beating too fast, my ears were burning, everything seemed to flow in a bright an eerie slow motion. The trees from the woods advanced towards us at an angle, throwing us into strips of moonlight as we broke the gangly border. Roots stuck up from the ground, making it hard to run.

"I... Dean... I can't keep going," I huffed. And deep inside the burning in my lungs, I know what was coming.

"We need to keep moving!" he grunted, tugging on my arm. He pulled me into a clearing where the moon was clearly in view.

My chest had began to tick, but only I could hear it. I held my ears, screaming through the pain as I hit the floor. My head surfed through sharp rocks, sending the beetle black to my eyes.

"Dean... Go!"

He shook his head. "James, I'm not leaving -" He caught s glimpse of my eyes. "James?"

The demon dogs slithered from behind us, picking speed up.

I was gone. Like I explained before, I could still see, and I could still taste the fear on my tongue, but the demon had control of my flesh. It clicked my head, emitting silent waves to shred our attacker - they flaked into the atmosphere, one by one, squealing as their skin ripped off.

Burning skin, ash falling from his stride, a tall, bronzed man, stepped to meet his. Wherever he stepped, burnt down, whilst the trees he'd passed had become beacons.

Hades.

"Impressive," he said.

"He didn't mean to do it!" Dean tried defending. "You can see, it's the demon. He has one inside him."

"Impressive," Hades repeated. "So strong. I could use a demon like you in the underworld, we could call it, community service. You not being human, that changes things. What do you say? No one will raise a weapon to you. Such power can't be wasted."

"I just want you obsessive freaks to leave me alone," I said. "Go back to hell before I put you there!"

"Such a shame," Hades said.

"Please." I had managed to break through the demon with a more expressive tone. "I'm not myself.'

Puffs of deathly smoke choked from my throat, letting the demon back in my voice box. It told me it knew what was best for me and forced me into darkness.

*

Deans face winced over me, I could just about make it out through the smoke. I think he was shaking me, I couldn't tell, my body was flooded with emptiness, I felt like I was floating. Deans lips were swaying, but no sound came out of the wind.