1 year on

Dan's POV:
It's been a year. Over a year. Phil and I have been a couple for what feels like forever. I've decided it's time. We both need to move on with our lives. How can we do that if we are what we are?

New Years Eve,
London Eye,
11:55

"Five minuets" Phil whispered in my ear, gripping my hand. We were surrounded by our close friends and family. Just how I would want it to be. I looked around smiling to myself. I made eye contact with B and she winked at me. She was in on my secret and I nodded gently to her. She pulled her camera out and took pictures of everyone.

New Year's Eve,
London Eye,
11:58

I cleared my throat and the buzz of people quietened and everyone turned to look at me. My words caught in my throat, pulling me back into my anxiety. No. Dan. You can do this. Let's go.

"This here, is Philip Michael Lester. He is my best friend, boy friend and soul mate. I've known you for over 7 years and it's only fair that I go into 2017 with you. But you? Or something more?" I paused, my hand reaching into my pocket.

I bent down onto one knee...

"Philip Michael Lester, would you do me the honour of being my husband in 2017?"

I looked up into his icy blue eyes. They filled with tears, and soon I couldn't see straight either.

"Yes. Yes Dan. Yes yes and yes again." He replied.

Blinded by our tears, I slid the ring into his finger. I stood up and gripped both of his hands in mine.

"I love you." He said. I looped my hands around his neck and our faces pressed together once again. His lips tasted like honey and his hair was like silk in my hands. We pulled apart and gazed out of the glass hand in hand.

10...
I love you.
9...
We're getting married.
8...
It's almost 2017.
7...
I'm so happy to be spending it with you.
6...
You're so romantic
5...

Our hands looped together as we gazed out of the pod at the Houses of Parliament, surrounded by our family. Our family. We were family now.

4...
He's my husband.
3...
I'm the luckiest man in the world
2...
We are a family.
1...

"HAPPY NEW YEAR" We all cried, grabbing our partners and friends into hugs and kisses. Our families danced around in celebration and drunkenly sang Auld Lang Syne, while Phil and I stood and stared at the fire works.

He was mine.

I was his.

We are a family.