Chapter V

www.bethanyshayporteous.com
https://www.facebook.com/Bethany-Shay-Porteous-283457555158191/

Chapter V

The uniform felt tight and I felt completely constricted in it. The collar felt tight around my neck and the tie only served further to suffocate me. The blue skirt felt tight on my waist, the blouse tucked into it and I checked for any lumps at the back, making sure it hadn't rolled. The tights were itchy on my legs and the black shiny shoes on my feet felt like they were cutting off circulation.

I eyed the blue blazer on the chair with distaste, dreading having to add yet another garment to this dreadful attire.

Glancing at the clock I sighed, only ten minutes and I'd have to be there in order to make it to my locker and work out where I had my first class. Nerves ate me up and I wish I was back home, most likely in my warm bed sleeping.

I shrugged on the tight blazer and picked up my small leather backpack, thankful that once I had my new books stashed in my locker my arms wouldn't be broken like they were now. I balanced the text books as I slowly walked across the bedroom to the door, biting my tongue as I tried to open it without dropping anything.

Making it into the hall I began a slow walk down the passage way before reaching the landing and hitting the top of the stairs.

There was no way I was going to get down there with all books still piled as they were.

I bit my lip, deliberating before shrugging. Let's test the vampire hearing skills, "Aron?" I said softly.

Suddenly the piles of books were no longer in my hand and Aron had a frown on his face, "you should have called me as soon as you were ready."

"Don't be so bossy," Josie sang as she came out of nowhere and began descending the stairs. I made to follow her and heard Aron huff in annoyance. "And don't huff," she ordered. When we reached the bottom she went to the door near the entrance and pulled it open, taking out a large black coat. "Okay, let's go Ashia darling."

"I'm taking her," Aron said in a clipped tone.

Josie scoffed, "Aron that would be so embarrassing for her, it'd be like her father dropping her off at school and making sure she has enough lunch money. I'm taking her and that's that, you have business to attend to anyway. Marx' hearing is in half an hour is it not?"

I stood there awkwardly as Josie took the pile of books from Aron's arms and skipped ahead outside. I felt dread consume me as I realised I had wanted him to take me, but realised it probably would look as weird as Josie said it would.

Aron took my hand and I dragged my eyes from the floor to his, trying to ignore the shiver that ran through my body as he pulled me closer, placing my hand on his chest. "I'll see you this evening love," he murmured.

-

Sitting in the hearing room I listened as Marx, a vampire almost as old as I defended his actions of striking his bride in a café while I had been away. She had been brought over from Australia not only three weeks ago – taking her to a public place besides the school was a stupid idea, especially for a vampire like him.

"I thought it would please her, to get some fresh air and taste some local cuisine, until she tried to blow the café up," he snarled.

Part of me gloated to find that I had gotten lucky when finding a docile witch as my bride. Many others had not been so lucky.

"Taking your bride out so early was not a wise idea Marx," I began. "However had I been in your position I would have acted as you had, as your bride was putting the lives of our people at risk. But I would have waited until we reached home, we are still on very uneven levels with the humans – we cannot go around publicly disciplining, they don't understand and they are not from our time." Rising from my chair I walked down to the floor, "to the humans they would have seen it as abuse, which is why I had to go through the formalities of calling this hearing," I snapped frustrated.