Chapter XXI

Chapter XXI

"Ashia?" The sound of my name being softly whispered began to bring me out of the haze I had been pulled into and I struggled to open my eyes and gather my bearings. Where was I? What had happened? Where was Aron? "Wakeup Ashia."

It was blurry for a moment as my eyes tried to adjust. They hurt and I had an awful headache that made me feel dizzy. The rest of my body felt pain free which I was thankful for, the pain I had gone through with Clara had been terrible. Just the memories of what I had gone through made my head hurt even more and I raised my hand to hold it, my gaze focusing on Aron who sat beside my bed, looking at me earnestly.

"Aron," I croaked out.

"Oh Ashia," he said quietly. His face looked strained and he looked pale – paler than usual. He looked like he had hardly slept and he was nowhere near the crisp looking vampire that would march the grand halls of his home.

"It's o-over right?" I whispered timidly. "S-she's gone?"

"As gone as she can be," he said quietly. "I don't expect her to stay away for long, not after what I did to her mate. I expect another attempt will be taken with your life. I refuse to let that happen, you'll forgive me my love, if I station a permanent set of guards with you?"

"Oh – o-okay...A-Aron our honeymoon-"

"Was ruined," he said flatly. "I will never forgive myself for leaving you alone-"

"This wasn't your fault," I said quietly as I reached out for his hand. "You wouldn't h-have expected it."

"But I should have," he told me firmly. "I've acted like Clara was never going to be a problem again. I should have known she would be waiting for the right time to strike. I know she will again but this time we will both be ready."

"Both?" I asked.

"As I've said you will have guards, but I want you – I want you to try and harness your magic. It's your only defense love...I don't believe you are capable of physically restraining somebody."

That was true.

My magic was still a mystery to me mostly...I needed help. If I had Willa...that would be very helpful. Our magic was similar it just seemed to run on a different level.

"Ashia," Aron's voice sounded grave and he looked at me with heavy eyes. "When you feel ready to tell me what happened...when Clara had you...I'm here. I want you to know you can tell me. My beautiful bride. I will spend the rest of our lives making this ordeal up to you."

I sat up straighter, trying to ignore the pain in my head as I held onto his hand. "You don't have to make it up to me," I said softly. "Your sister – sh-she's insane b-but this wasn't your fault."

"I have made it worse for us though," he sighed heavily. "Killing her wolf mate was hasty, I admit. She deserved it, but she will want vengeance. That is what I have to make up to you; I have put you in incredible danger." A wave of dizziness came over me and I put my hand to my head, leaning back into the pillows. "Sleep some more, my beloved."

-

"Ashia, would you please wakeup?" A voice whined in my ear. "Alana and I are quite bored just sitting here, doing nothing while you rest your pretty little head – oh what's that? I see her eyes flickering. She's waking up! I know he told us to let her sleep, but I am not sitting here, staring at my nails for the next two hours."

"We should really let her rest Josie..." Alana's voice sounded unsure. "You saw the injuries she came home with."

"They were healed," Josie huffed. "She has no injuries left. This sleeping nonsense is getting tiresome."