Intermission

If a funeral is held outside, as this particular one happens to be, then it tends to rain. In every movie, book, or play, funeral goers are pelted by knives of water. Their black attire  becomes soaked, and they are suddenly more miserable than they have ever been in their lives. However, believe me when I say this funeral saw no rain, because Egyn had cried his tears in private, and left the world oblivious to his mourning.

The venue was deep in the gardens of True Cross, where even the most accomplished of gardeners dared not venture. Ancient plants grew here, some demonic, others just forgotten by the course of history. Strange violet flowers floated from the sky creating an ethereal purple glow. Oak trees old as True Cross itself stretched high into the sky, shading the ceremony. Thick vines wrapped themselves up the trees, and ivy creeped along the cobblestone path. Stone pews were arranged in a semi-circle around a coffin of dark rosewood. The coffin itself was old and intricate, it had been fashioned many years ago and put in storage for the right moment. Low level wards were drawn out in chalk on the mossy floor beneath it, hoping to deter coal tars and the like. The ceremony wasn't religious, but because you were an exorcist a golden cross was nailed to the coffin. It glinted in the sunlight, which shone down brilliantly parching the funeral goers, and illuminating the space.

When one is over a thousand years old, certain things become trivial. After a thousand years the novelty of human  experiences that should happen  only once or twice wears off. Samael was a very old demon, but though he was ancient, funerals had yet to become boring for him. Especially when he knew the deceased very well.

"Did she suffer?" His voice was grim and he spoke softly, as to not disturb the rest of the guests.

The white haired demon next to him startled.

"What?"

"You heard me Azazel, did f/n suffer?" Azazel drew in a shaky breath. The rise and fall of his chest faltering for a moment.

"I don't know."

"What do you mean you don't know? You have her soul!" Samael's calm demeanor was quickly deteriorating. It is impolite to raise your voice at a funeral, but in certain circumstances, such rudeness can be forgiven.

"I don't have it...."

"You lost her soul, Azazel!" Samael's eyes glinted with anger and perhaps some malice as he glared at his brother.

"I never had it in the first place." The words hung heavy in the air. "It was taken away before I could reach it." Samael's expression turned stony.

"What do you mean , someone took it?" He asked.

"Whoever broke into her room, didn't you say she had a bruise on her chest?" Azazel countered.

"Yes, Izumo mentioned it."

Azazel let out a deep sigh.

"Even if I had her soul we would have never seen her again." Azazel looked at his feet. "Someone like her would have no business in Gehenna. It's a shame I couldn't send her up there myself."

Samael let out a deep sigh, "is there really no way we can retrieve her soul?"

"We can, but it wouldn't bring her back. She is in limbo and cannot be sent up or down, if a soul is taken from me before I can guide it, then it is stuck forever."