Limbo

Demon Kings are not delicate, or frangible, or frail. Definitely not, however it would be a lie to say that they were unbreakable, they can still die. Well kind of.

When a demons host is destroyed its painful. The demons spirit is ripped from the body and sent back to Gehhena, to begin again. Acquiring a new host is costly and time consuming, which is why most demons avoid "dying" if they can.

A loud crack resounded throughout all of Gehenna. A bolt of lightning shot down from the dark sky, breaking through the red haze and illuminating the plane in brilliant blue light. The ground where the lightning hit sizzled and smoldered, it shifted and shook waiting for the demon to manifest itself from nothing.

Satan's evening stroll had been interrupted many times before  by a demon being reborn, taking a detour he decided to see which idiot had gotten themselves killed this time.

Imagine his surprise when he saw it was his son.

......................................................................

Egyn worked to pull down the runes and tails mans around the abandoned looking dorm. It would have been easy if there wasn't so many of them. One would think they would be trying to keep Rin Okumura in, not other demons out.

Which was 100% true.

Eventually the small barrier crumbled and Egyn took a hesitant step inside the perimeter, making sure there was nothing hidden.

Hidden barriers had been the bane of his existence back in the 1700's, they were everywhere. Every time he visited Assiah he would return home with burns all over his body. People were way more superstitious back then so he supposed it made sense for them to be everywhere, but it had gotten to the point of not being able to leave his house.
Ahh good times...

Finding no hidden barriers Egyn stepped over the threshold and onto the property. He hurried, Rin probably knew that the barrier around his dorm was broken, and if he was smart then he would be waiting for Egyn on the defensive.

It wasn't that difficult breaking into the actual dorm, honestly you would think the door would be locked, but you would be wrong. Unfortunately for Egyn the second he opened the door he was met with the wrath of an extremely angry cat sídhe.

Kuro was generally a very calm demon, he didn't really do anything aggressive other than hiss at anything and anyone who would try to take his food. So when he lunged at whoever opened the door Rin was honestly surprised, he assumed it was Yukio but the more he looked at the blue haired man that was trying to fend off the angry familiar, the more he was convinced it wasn't Yukio at the door.

"Kuro! Kuro! Get off!" He shouted at the cat who was well on his way to clawing the other mans eyes out.

Kuro stopped and looked at Rin in confusion.

"Why?" Kuros telekinesis pulled at Rins mind.

"Because you can't just attack someone with no reason." Rin pushed back angrily, half demon or not he still had morals.

"Your familiar has all the reason to attack me." The man who was now giving Kuro a wide berth as he walked up to Rin charred clothes spilling soot onto the floor with every step. He held his hand out in greeting beckoning for Rin to take it.

Rin shoved his hand out to the stranger entwining their fingers briefly, confused at the strange greeting.

"And who are you?" Rin was suspicious now, people didn't just barge into other people's homes without a reason.

"Oh sorry how rude of me, allow me to introduce myself. My name is Egyn, Demon King of Water."

.......................................................................

Demons poured into the Academy town. Broken barriers was catastrophic for True Cross, especially with Mephisto absent.

Shura pulled her sword out of her chest seal before stabbing it straight into a incoming hobgoblin. The demon shrieked and returned to Gehhena in a puff of smoke.

"This is ridiculous, I'm calling the clown!" Shura yelled dodging another hobgoblin before ducking behind an overturned car and pulling out her cellphone. The most ridiculous part of all of the demon attacks was that most of them were water types, reapers were everywhere. The huge frogs were making everything extremely difficult.

The dial tone sounded and Shura held her breath. 'If the clown doesn't pick up then I'm going to skin him alive the next time I see him.' That was a promise that Shura was going to make sure to keep. Unfortunately for Shura and fortunately for him, Mephisto picked up.

"Hello Shura dear, how is everything at the school? Good I hope..."

"Can it Clown... I know all this is your fault!" Shura spit venom into her words.

"Whatever would you mean by that?" She could almost hear his smirk.

"You know full well what I mean!" The anger that was bubbling up in Shura was at  frightening levels. A poor hobgoblin made the mistake of crossing her path. She cut it in half with a screech. "Something took out the western barrier!" Yelling into the phone was her specialty.

"Ooooh yeahhhhh about thaaaattt." Mephisto elongated his words fueling Shura's anger with every letter. "I'll make Egyn clean up later."

"Egyn!?"

"Goodbye Shura!" Click.

Ohhhh he was sooo dead.

....................................................................

"So let me get this straight," Rin eyed his company strangely who was currently sitting across from him and wearing a spare set of his clothes. "You're the King of Water, and you need my help to save f/n?" Rin stroked Kuro who was growling dangerously at Egyn.

"Yes, that is correct." Egyn was a very polite and formal demon. His excellent posture and pleasant way of speaking put instantly Rin at ease. Kuro on the other hand was still seeing red and clawing desperately at Rin's arm to have a go at the blue haired Demon King. "Calm down, I'm not here to hurt your master, you like f/n right?" Egyn spoke to the cat sídhe directly.

" fine I'll calm down, but if you pull any funny business and try to take Rin to Gehhena I really will claw your eyes out."

"Ok, you have my word." Usually a demons promise was empty and easily breakable. But there was something about how frantic Egyn looked that made Kuro take his word seriously.

Limbo: The lull before a new beginning.