Soil

"You can't," labored gasping breaths, running...
"You can't hi..." Down a long hallway...
"You can't ..." Breathless... Fast footsteps
"You can't HIDE...." Glance behind, nothing but your own frosty breath.
"HIDE From Hide Can't From Hide can't ... " Lost...
"You hide from..."
"ACAnt " Dead end...
"YOU CAN'T HIDE FROM ME!"

Red eyes...

You awoke with a start and a gasp, your eyes scanned the room, taking in your surroundings. The room was the same ornately decorated room, that you had awakened to every morning for the past few months.

'That's odd?' You thought to yourself, you had no recollection of returning to your room ,or falling asleep. It was sensible to wonder if you had even met The King of Insects at all. But you had to have, it couldn't have been just a dream. Right? You dragged yourself out of bed, less shaky on your feet now. Your throat was no longer scratchy and your voice didn't hurt anymore, you were grateful for the pain relievers that the healer had left. They weren't pills or anything, but they were herbs, strong ones. They reminded you of the ones in Sheimi's shop, with the thick scent of medicine. Your steps were still slow, walking was difficult when you barely knew how.

Suddenly, your footing weakened. Before you fell you grabbed the dark oak end table, and used it to keep yourself upright. You steadied yourself for a moment then quickly drew your hand away as you touched something hot and metallic. It seared and left a red impression.

You yelled, although it came out more as a shriek. The metal had burnt your fingertips. Appalled ,you looked to see what you had touched. Your eyes widened as you recognized the golden scarab beetle from the door. "So it wasn't a dream." You wondered aloud. "It was much too vivid."

But then the clarity and reality of the dream you had just experienced resurfaced. It was almost a recurring nightmare, different setting, same villain. Always with the same end, red. A red that was so intense and scarlet, that it was rivaled only by the tone of a ruby, or the hue of human blood. You shook the dream off, you would ask the healer about the nightmare when she returned. You picked up the scarab, now cool to the touch, it crawled over the creases of your palm before settling in the center. It appeared to take a big breath then ceased moving all together. The life left it and it was static metal once more.

You turned it over in your palm, then winced when a sharp tip grazed your fingers. What was once the legs of the beetle, had formed into a long golden needle. The beetle resembled less of a bug and more of a pin, and you used it as so, quickly fastening it to your shirt. Your clothes were very generic, they resembled a hospital gown, if it were split into pants and a shirt respectively. The shirt having a short V-neck fastening with buttons at the back, and the pants which were breathy and hung loosely, the waist was tight and elastic, but they were comfy all the same.

The door handle was closer than you remembered and you reached it before you tumbled again. You turned it and pushed the door open, the hallway was empty, you went the opposite way this time. Favoring new discovery over visiting Beelzebub again. The walls in this wing were a pale gray, large stone bowls with blue flames flickering inside them lined the floor. They looked inconceivably heavy. You continued down the hallway, there were less doors. Mostly archways which led into other parts of the palace.

You walked until you felt movement over your chest, the scarab beetle was alive again. It crawled down your body to the floor and scampered through the nearest archway. Hastily, you followed it. Through the arch was another hallway, the doors that lined it were encrusted with sparkling sapphire.

This door was easier to push than your room door, and it swung open as if it had been waiting for you.

You peaked around the doorway and froze. There was an old oak table, and around it sat four people. Demons you realized, if the pointy ears were anything to go by. Their heads snapped up to the doorway you were peaking around. The tall one at the head of the table beckoned you in, his purple hair falling lazily out underneath a top hat. Fully entering the room all the attention was on you. Three of the demons seemed surprised at your sudden arrival, but the purple haired one seemed to have known you would walk in, he smirked.

"Hello f/n." You could hear his smirk through his words, "how was your nap?"

"Long." You answered, you were convinced you knew this man from somewhere and had no problem conversing with him. But it was always better not to let your guard down.

"Yes, I'd say six months is a pretty long time for a human like yourself."

You ignored the snide comment and instead chose to focus on the other demons in the room.

One of them was Beelzebub and you made eye contact with  him, hoping he would catch your annoyance wth the hatted demon.

Lucky for you he did,"big brother, you're irritating her cant you see it on her face?" His face was blank as he spoke.

"Sorry about that f/n," said the sly demon. You weren't really sure you believed that apology, but he did look at least a little sorry.

"How is it you know my name?" That question had been burning in your head ever since he had addressed you when you entered.

"Ah, of course you wouldn't remember... It's me Professor Faust,  your headmaster."  This seemed to confuse the others in the room, but you ignored that.

A little bit of the fog in your head seemed to clear at Professor Faust's speech. You remembered his stupid outfit and top hat, but you were sure something was missing...

"Where's your umbrella?" That's what's it was, he usually had an umbrella. When you asked this he looked shocked for a moment then his face lit up. He burst into laughter at your question. "What's so funny?"

"Of course you would remember the umbrella."he wiped faux tears from his eyes then was serious once again. "Speaking of True Cross, I believe we should be returning there very soon miss l/n. You've missed quite a few classes."

"I have? Oh that's right six months. I'm very sorry professor." You looked very sheepish at the thought.

"We will return there at once, before we go though, there's two people who have been waiting to see you, one of which doesn't even know you're awake." Professor Faust smirked then waived for you to follow him, he rose from his seat gracefully and walked towards the door. "Come along f/n, oh and do call me Mephisto."

You hurried to follow, saving the other demons in the room only a glance.

The hallway he lead you down was long but he made idle chatter the whole way, you barley noticed when you approached a gray archway the arch seemed to flicker and disappear at some points. It didn't seem very solid, but Mephisto beckoned you forward and led you through it.

When you entered you were so cold, your head began to spin and you felt faint. You tried to fall but strong arms caught you, at first you thought it was Mephisto but that notion quickly disappeared as you stared into stunning blue eyes.

The soil is full of gravel