Chapter Twenty

Chapter Twenty

To say that I was in trouble was an understatement. As soon as I had reached my house, my mother had scolded me. I was home later than I should’ve been, however after making up some excuse, I was off the hook. I felt bad for lying to my mother, but I couldn’t have said ‘Hey mum I nearly was kidnapped by werewolves and half the school happen to be them too’. What I didn’t know was that Ryder had told Summer that he was going to drop me off at my house, so she didn’t seem suspicious. I do feel guilty for ditching her though, after all we went together.

When I woke up the next morning, I saw that I had a text from Ryder.

Meet me in the woods-

Ryder

I read the text remembering Ryder had told me he was going to explain to me more about the werewolf world. It still came as a shock to me that they even existed. I had gone through with my daily regime of getting changed and ready. However, as I was changing I stumbled into my draws.

“Stupid draws” I mumbled angrily. I looked at the draws and remembered the little box in it, the little box that contained all the letters. I opened the draw hesitantly and took the little box out. I should take them with me, I decided. After what had happened yesterday, I didn’t want to take any chances. With that in mind, I threw the letters into my little satchel.

I checked all of the rooms and saw that my mother and Sophie were asleep. Knowing that later I was going to be in trouble for this, I snuck out of the house, leaving a small note saying that I was going to be with my friends and to not worry. A rush of excitement walked through me, as I snuck out. It wasn’t like me to be this way, but it felt nice.

As I approached the edge of the woods, I saw a shadowed figure. I clutched my bag closer, the outline of my pocket knife touching my wrists. I had kept it in there just in case; I didn’t want a repeat of last night. It turned out that the shadowed figure was none other than Ryder. Letting out a breath of relief, my heart returned to its normal rate.

Ryder was leaning against a tree, wearing some grey jeans and a black hoodie. Subconsciously, I pulled my hoodie tighter. The weather was still cold, especially at this time in the morning. It was only ten am.

“Hey” I quietly said reaching the destination. The wind softly blew the strands of hair that escaped my loose ponytail. It was a better day than the others. Although the weather was still a bit chilly, you could see the sun softly shining, highlighting the tops of the trees.  Towards my right were the woods, and on my left you could see in the distance houses and a few cars. I looked at Ryder who was also looking at me.

“Hey” he replied, after that followed a long awkward silence. I internally groaned. Just once I would like to speak with someone without the horrible awkwardness!

“So...” I drawled, “Why did you call me here?” He seemed to be having an inner conversation with himself; I have to ask him about that. It was a stupid question to ask since I knew why I was here, but I guess that’s what awkward situations make you do.   

“You need to know about us werewolves” he said seriously, and continued on, “There are things you need to know, I know it may seem overwhelming, but bear with me”. I nodded my head feeling the anxiety swell in my heart. I suddenly felt nervous. It felt kind of like those times when your teacher says they need to talk to you and you feel scared that you did something wrong, or there was something wrong.

“Now that you know that we’re mates, your duty as the luna of the pack will have to begin” he said seriously. I gulped nervously.

“I don’t want to force this role on you but as a Luna, that is if you choose to be, you have to meet the pack”.