Chapter Thirty One

Chapter Thirty One

"I don't want to see you anymore Tessa."

Ryder's brown eyes glared at me; what once was filled with warmth was now riddled with hate. His body was stiff as if being near me was repulsive. Pain rippled through my body at the response of those words. The woods seemed to be closing in. I didn't like it. I wanted to speak, to apologise, but my mouth would not open.

He began to walk away, leaving me all alone in the cold, deserted woods. With every ounce of energy within me I tried to call to him, but nothing. Slumping to the floor, my glassy eyes stared at the retreating Ryder.

Then suddenly the image changed.

Ryder disappeared.

The trees became taller blocking the sky and surrounding me in a world of shadows. The roots entwined with my ankles and my wrists, keeping me a prisoner.

"Tessa!"

A scream of help erupted from within the trees. My eyes skirted everywhere looking for the voice- for Sophie. Yanking at the roots, I tried to claw myself out, but the red scars were the proof of my failure.

"Please help me, Tessa." Sophie's cry came again. Desperately I pulled harder. Come on, please. Scorching tears poured down my cheeks as I, with no success, tried to escape the prickly roots.

"Please hurry, Tessa!" Sophie's voice was urgent. Again, I tugged at the roots, the thorns slicing my palms. The pain was no rival for the pain of hearing Sophie's cries and knowing I would never be able to help her.

"Tessa!"

Beads of sweat rolled down my face as I woke up. The irregular thumping of my heart and my clammy hands reminded me it was only a nightmare. But it felt so real. I could still hear Sophie's cries and screams- it was torture.

Using my hand I wiped my eyes from the sleep and the tears. Rolling over I realised the sheets weren't on the bed, I must have thrown them off during my sleep. The room felt hot and stuffy- I wasn't complaining that the sheets fell off. I glanced at my alarm clock and saw in bright red letters that it was four am. There was a low possibility I would even fall back asleep so I climbed out of bed, grimacing as I felt my clothes stick to me.

Pulling my curtains, I saw the faint sunlight coming through signalling the start of the day. It was peaceful. Even though it was still quite dark out, you could see that the day was about to begin soon. Watching the sunrise was an honour because it showed how you survived another day. Sometimes we all need to stop and look back at what we achieved, rather than look forward and see what we want to achieve.

Quietly I went downstairs trying to avoid waking mum up. She needed this moment to sleep- she deserved it. I thought back to our reconciliation yesterday, I felt liberated from one of my problems. Now if I could just muster the courage to apologise to Ryder. I really need to do this- and not because we're dating, if we even still are, but because I hurt him and I don't want to leave things this way. Ryder deserves an apology. He did so much for me and I can't even remember if I ever thanked him. I'm a terrible person.

With a sudden, and extremely wild idea popping into my mind, I glanced at the clock. It was now four thirty am; I would have to be up for school in three hours. I poured myself a cup of coffee to not only wake myself up but to also give me some adrenaline for what I was planning on doing. After downing the remaining coffee , I grabbed my bag and silently left the house.