Chapter Twelve

Chapter 12

Ever since my life in California began, I felt different. Almost as if a different person has taken over my body. Now I’m still the same old Tess, but I just feel complete in some way. It may sound like some spiritual crap but it really isn’t, though it does sound really cliché. Maybe it’s because I have friends who I don’t have to change myself to be like or maybe it’s just the fact that I was really like this to begin with, but I was lost within myself.

You may be thinking, why I am talking about this all of a sudden, but when you’re walking to school you get lost in your thoughts, and start thinking really deep. The morning breeze caressed my cheeks as I walked across the roads. The weather seemed friendly, unlike the brutal winds we had last week, and I thought British weather was bipolar. The sun was out, and occasionally I’d pass few people walking their children to school.

Normally I’d take my short-cut through the woods, but I don’t need to be attacked by a wolf twice to know not to go in there. After a few minutes, the sun seemed to dim down a bit and the winds picked up a harsher speed. I regretted my choice in clothing, an off the shoulder top and skinny jeans didn’t help myself in the now cold weather condition. 

When I reached the quieter place in my route to school, I felt like I was being watched. I turned around but only saw a couple of people, who were doing their own thing. A quick pang of paranoia struck me but left just as quick as I saw there was nothing. The whole wolf and letter thing must have shaken me up a bit. Shaking my head, I carried on walking. Again I felt someone staring at me, but when I looked back, I saw nothing. It was getting a bit freaky, but it must have been my imagination. I carried on walking, feeling cautious and a bit freaked out, though I knew I had nothing to be scared of?

A few steps later, I heard footsteps, like someone was walking behind me. I looked back and saw no one, ok now I’m getting a bit scared. I picked up my pace and heard the same footsteps go faster as well. I didn’t know when but I had broken out into a run and sprinted to my school. It was with relief; I entered inside the school gates. I took a glance back, just to see if anyone was there, but just like I thought, no one was there.

I walked to my locker, panting from my run. I didn’t realise how exhausted I was until, I was breathing heavily. I saw Eva and Summer waiting for me. As I walked up to them, with a sweat stained forehead and still panting like a wild animal, I saw Eva and Summer exchange a look of concern.

“Tess, are you ok? You look really pale” Summer said, taking in my dishevelled state. It was only now that I realised that Summer has been asking me that a lot since I’ve came here, maybe I should take better care of myself.

“Yeah I’m alright, I was chased by a dog and had to run to school” I lied, cringing at how silly and childish it had sounded. Summer seemed to look convinced, but Eva did not. She looked at me almost asking if it had anything to do with the wolf, but I shook my head, flashing a smile.

“You know what, why don’t I just give you a ride from and to school, I mean it would save you time and we could have fun” Summer offered. The offer as tempting as it sounds, I could not accept it, I mean I wouldn’t want to put Summer through all that trouble.

“Thanks but it’s alright Summer. I wouldn’t want to be a burden on you or anything and anyway I have to get Sophie from school as well” I said but she did not take no for an answer.

“Oh come on Tessa, it will be fun and didn’t you say yourself like last week that Sophie gets a lift from her friend’s mum” She begged. I forgot that Sophie gets a lift from Megan’s mum; it was nice of her to do so. “Please Tess, pretty please!” She pleaded giving me the puppy eyes. Now normally the puppy eyes wouldn’t work on me but when Summer did it she looked adorable!