Chapter Nine

Chapter Nine

I looked at the two boxes of cereal in my hand, one was chocolate and the other was healthy. Most teenage girls my age would find themselves stuck in a situation where they can’t choose between two boys, but here I am trying to choose which cereal I want to buy. The chocolate one seems more appealing but the other one has vitamins and fruits. Befuddled by the situation, I threw both of them into the trolley.

I pushed my trolley to the check out area. I had done all the groceries and shopping and now just needed to buy them. The grocery store was filled with people shopping. It was fathomable since today was a Sunday and school was tomorrow. The line was long, so I decided to read a magazine while waiting. I don’t really enjoy reading magazines but anything was better than waiting in line and doing nothing.

“Did you hear about the murders that happened in the woods?”

“How could I not, it’s like the gossip going around here. The police found the bodies mutilated.”

“I read it today in the newspaper; apparently the police are saying it was caused by an animal”

I couldn’t help but eavesdrop on the two girls in front of me. By the looks of it, they looked like they were a year younger than me. Their conversation about the murders had me intrigued. Murders in California? I swapped my magazine for a newspaper and scanned through the pages. My eyes widened as I absorbed all the information. Three dead bodies were found dismembered on the outskirts of the woods.

The police said that it looked like the doings of an animal, a wolf. If it was a wolf, wouldn’t people have known it was in the woods, and most importantly if the kill was done by wolves shouldn’t animal control have gotten to them by now? Though what seemed to have me perplexed is that no one knew there were wolves roaming around the woods. Someone would have had to have known about it, right?

I knew about it. I remembered what happened to Sophie and I in the woods. We were attacked by a wolf, but then we were saved by one. It couldn’t have been the wolf that attacked us because he was dead and the wolf that saved us wouldn’t do that. Though the question that still haunts me is why did he save us? The wolf could have left us to die, but he didn’t.

I dismissed the thought out of my head, why am I getting myself worked up about this? I have to warn Sophie about the killer, the animal, whatever it may be. I bought all the items and began my walk home.

The walk home wasn’t long; at least it didn’t seem long. My mind was occupied with the murders, about the wolf. I unlocked my front door and walked inside. Sophie was watching TV, Disney channel to be more precise. I set the carrier bags on the kitchen counter along with my house keys and afterwards called Sophie to come into the kitchen.

“Ooh what’d you get?” Sophie said excitedly, peeking into the bags.

“Just groceries but that’s not what I want to talk to you about. You might want to sit down for this” She looked at me curiously before she perched herself on the stool.

“Sophie there have been some murders around here, I’m sure you’ve heard about them” She nodded and I carried on talking. “Well they happened in the woods and the police said that by the looks of it, they think the victims were killed by an animal, a wolf” Her eyes widened as I spilled the information on her. Not waiting for her response, I carried on talking.

“I don’t want you going near the woods Soph, okay. Not in the morning or the night. Tell your friends as well, the more people the merrier” My voice didn’t waver and my expression stayed serious. Sophie looked at me. I couldn’t decipher what she was going through, of course she must be feeling scared, like I am, but she’s still a child, so she must be feeling worse.

“What’s happening Tess” Sophie whispered. I gave her a weak smile.

“I don’t know Soph, I don’t know”

***

Summer and I stood beside Eva’s locker. This Monday morning was doing well to no one; everyone looked like they were run over by a truck. Although that was only one half of the school, the other half were acting weird, like the day Ryder came to school, they were acting cautious, guarded. I seemed to be the only one to notice this because when I asked Summer she didn’t think much of it.

Eva approached us in her usual black clothing. Most people would think she’s gothic but I think rather than gothic she’s got this bad girl personality. She’s more bad ass in my eyes. Eva gave us a small smile as she opened her locker.

“Did you hear about the murders that happened in the woods? It’s so sad, can you imagine how the families must be feeling?” Summer brought up the topic of the murders. Half the school are talking about it, most feel sorry.

“The police are even saying that a wolf did this. Can you believe that how can a wolf commit all these murders?” Summer scoffed. I would’ve have agreed with her, but the incident that occurred at the woods wasn’t just a coincidence. If it wasn’t for that wolf then Sophie and I would have been the first victims.

“Whatever it is, I hope they get rid of it before another person dies” Eva put extra emphasis on ‘it’. Summer nodded her head, agreeing with Eva. I was too busy looking at Eva and how her eyes hardened at the mention of these murders. It was almost as if she was hiding something. I shook it off; this Monday morning was starting to make me see things. The bell rang and we headed off to class.

***

I sat in my English class, we were supposed to talk about our assignment but the most of the class started talking about other stuff. Ryder sat in front of me in his usual attire. He wasn’t looking at me but he wasn’t avoiding me either. I sighed from boredom; it would have been much more fun if someone was actually talking to me.

The voices from the students started to rise louder and all you could hear was things to do with the murder. For some peculiar reason the part of the class that were the noisiest seemed extra quiet today. Something is definitely wrong with this school. Ryder’s jaw tensed. I looked at him, studied him actually. His jaw and fists were clenched; he looked angry, angry about the murders? Although why would he be angry about them, I mean of course everyone would be angry but not like this.

“Did you hear about the murders?” I spoke quietly, but I knew he could hear me. Ryder’s attention snapped towards me. It was a stupid question, with all the gossip going around, you’d have to be deaf to not hear about the murder. My attempt to break the ice failed, as Ryder still looked stiff and angry.

“Yes” His response was almost unheard. I wasn’t expecting him to answer, to be honest I thought he’d ignore me. Before I could respond the lesson finished, ending our conversation.

“Don’t go near the woods Tessa” This wasn’t a request but a demand. Shivers ran down my spine with the way he said my name. It was almost two months since I came to this school and he still had that effect on me, but why he had that effect, I don’t know. I gave a small nod, not trusting my voice. My mind was still in a haze.

“Good” and with that Ryder left the classroom while I was still in my disorientated state. Packing my things away I noticed one thing. Ryder had the same reaction like Eva had this morning. I don’t know if it was just me, but something shady is going on and I was going to get to the bottom of it.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

A/N: Hi guys I know I haven't updated in a while, a long while and for that I am really sorry!! This chapter is a bit of a filler and the story and is getting on the plot. Hope you enjoy it! Oh and check out my other book 'Riley' and tell me what you think! Vote, comment you know the drill! ;) New episode of Criminal Minds today!! Aghh can't wait!! :D

Peace, bananas and dark angels!

C.I.A