Chapter Eighteen

• Dedicated to To the soldiers who risked their lives for us

Chapter Eighteen

Today’s the day.

Tonight, love will be spread, sparks will be ignited and kisses shall be made.

Today is the day of the dance. All the waiting is finally over, and I am over the moon. Summer, Eva and I were getting ready in my room. It was amazing getting ready together, the excitement was killing me.

Summer wore a gorgeous light peach dress with specks of gold in it; the colour really complimented her hair. Eva, on the other hand, looked smouldering in her black dress. Her hair was in a messy but elegant bun, with a few loose curls, she looked effortlessly beautiful. The original plan was that she was going to get ready with her boyfriend, but now he’s going to meet her at school.

When I looked at myself in the mirror, I couldn’t believe how I looked. My dress, my hair, in loose curls, it all fitted together. I felt beautiful. As we went downstairs, my mother waited there for us. She took the day off to help us get ready. All our arguments were forgotten. Her eyes watered as she looked at me.

“You look beautiful” she said tearfully. I rolled my eyes, smiling. It was typical for any mother to get emotional and sentimental over nothing.

“But not more beautiful than me right Miss J” Summer joked making my mum laugh. As they gushed about their dresses, I took the time to stand in the foyer, feeling the breeze on my face. I heard footsteps behind me and turned around to see my mum. She stood next to me, and for a few minutes we said nothing.

“You know if you’re father was here, he’d be so proud of you Tessie” My mum said quietly. I breathed in, nodding my head. I know my dad would’ve been proud of me, he would have told me I looked beautiful, and warned me that if a guy tried anything he would shoot him. I chuckled.

“What’re you thinking?” Mum nudged her shoulder lightly in to mine. I shook my head.

“I was just thinking about how dad would’ve said that if a guy hit on me, he would shoot the poor guy” Mum laughed lightly, while I smiled cheekily.

“Your father was so protective of you. I never understood half the things he ever did!” She told me whole heartedly. We lapsed into another moment of silence. Behind all the joyfulness of our conversation was a layer of melancholy memories. I could see the unshed tears in my mother’s eyes.