Chapter Fourteen

Chapter Fourteen

I looked around but he was nowhere to be seen. My eyebrows scrunched in confusion, where was he? The familiar tugging on my hand brought me back to reality and I decided to just go home. I was kind of upset that Ryder didn’t say ‘bye’. I rejected those thoughts, it shouldn’t bother me that he didn’t say ‘bye’. We’re not friends, acquaintances more like.

The drive home was short and quiet and before I knew it I was in my pyjamas watching Mulan with my family.  My mum didn’t have to go to work so we decided to have a movie night. Sophie picked Mulan, not that I minded. I was quite happy that my sister wasn’t deranged like most girls her age that would pick movies like Cinderella, Sleeping Beauty and Snow White. If you think about it Mulan is the only Disney princess movie where the princess is independent and strong. They mostly portray the princesses as girls who cannot look after themselves and wait for a prince charming to save them, but that’s just my opinion. I mean at one point in my life I also used to adore the Disney princesses.

While watching the movie, we would occasionally laugh at the crazy antics caused by none other than Mushu. The movie ended as quickly as it started and I saw to my right was a sleeping Sophie. I softly smiled and was about to take her into her room when my mother stopped me.

“Let me do it, just for tonight” she spoke softly. My response was a curt nod. I walked into the kitchen and made myself some hot chocolate. It wasn’t long before my mum came back in and poured herself some hot chocolate as well. I mixed the hot chocolate quietly; the silence was full of tension.

“Mum” I spoke quietly, breaking the silence. “Can you take a day off from work tomorrow? It’s been so long since the three of us have had a girl’s day out since a long time and  tomorrow is Saturday we can go to the mall and do stuff.” I rambled on. I watched my mum turn stiff before she frowned a little. My smile dropped as I knew her answer.

“I can’t honey. Tomorrow is a busy day at the company and since Katy is off work, someone needs to fill in for her.” She said her back facing me as she mixed her hot chocolate. I hated when she did this, she always made excuses to not stay at home. Katy is Stacy’s mum and I don’t understand why the company can’t survive without two of their workers. My mother worked in a big fashion, Retail Company, they have tons of employees.

“Why can’t you just take the day off, it’s only one day!” I pleaded.

“Tessa I told you why.”

“Mum you’re not listening to me, it doesn’t matter its only one day”

“Tessa I told you I can’t! Now would you stop being ungrateful and just leave it at that. I go to work so I can put a roof over your head and provide you with food, why can’t you appreciate that? You’re seventeen Tessa; you’re not a child anymore.” I froze, her words had stung my heart. How could she say that? A lump formed in my throat, as I felt my tears on the verge of spilling.

“I may not be a child mum, but Sophie still is. I know why you’re doing this and let me just tell you, you’re not the only one who lost someone they loved. We already lost our father and now it feels like we’re losing our mother too.” I spat out and ran to my bedroom. I jumped onto my bed and started crying. I wanted my old mother back. Why did Dad leave us? Can’t he see how unhappy we are?

I cried into my pillow until it was damp with my tears. Wiping my eyes, I lay on my back and stared at the ceiling. Was I being ungrateful? No, I was doing it with good intentions. Sophie and I needed our mother, her attention, her affection and her love. We wanted laugh and smile like the good, old times. I only wanted us to have some quality time with our mother yet why does she make it seem like we’re asking for too much.