Abby Bennett

"So why are we going to find your long lost mother again?" I asked Bonnie in a yawn, leaning my heels on the car door as we drove to wherever this lady lived. Bonnie sighed. 

"Because she can help us open the coffin and whatever inside the coffin can help us kill Klaus." Elena answered for her. I rub at my eyes, trying to stay awake. They had come over to my apartment early morning and woken me up before noon. I am never up before noon, never! So you can see why I might be a little crabby. 

"We don't need whatever's in that coffin, I promise. As long as I'm around, Klaus knows he has to be careful or I can make sure he gets striked by lightning." I say dryly. 

"It's almost like you don't want Klaus to die." Elena says quietly. My eyes widen for a moment before I push it off. I sit up and give Elena a penetrating stare.

"That's because I don't like people dying, especially when there is hope left. Even if it is almost nonexsistent." I say softy. 

"There is nothing good left about Klaus." Bonnie says with finality. I sigh and rake a hand through my barely brushed hair. 

"You can say that, because you've never seen the good side of Klaus. I was once in love with him, and he'll never admit it openly, but he did care about me. However he also cares about his family and he still treated them badly. But nontheless he did care, and even an ounce of that means he is savable." I respond evenly.

"Are you still in love with him? After everything he put you through?" Elena asked. I raised an eyebrow. 

"Aren't you still in love with Stefan?" I question. She looks away, knowing I had won that one. 

"It's different." She says quietly.

"Not as different as you think, Elena. Klaus and Stefan...they're very different. But there is one thing they have in common. One thing all vampires have in common. They were both once human. And once you have that taste of humanity, there's no way you can leave it behind completely. Think of it this way, once you have those human emotions, even the negative ones, they are engrained into you and even when you want them to go away most, they're still there." 

"Not Klaus." Elena says. I shake my head with a rueful smile.

"Sometimes I think that way too, but want to know a secret? Emotion is humanity and we all know that Stefan, Damon, and even Klaus have felt emotions." I respond seriously. She nods her head in understanding. 

"I guess so." She responds reluctantly. 

"We're here." Bonnie says and I realize for the first time the car had stopped. I open the car door and I step outside, looking around. 

"Nice place." I say wirily. Bonnie and Elena get out of the car. Bonnie takes a deep breath. 

"Hey before we go inside, quick question. Why did I have to come along anyway?" I asked. 

"Because we're not sure what's going to happen here and we can't bring Damon or Stefan." Elena responds. I shrug in response

"Everybody needs the good little witch pointing you on through the yellow brick road and saving you from the wicked witch of the west just so you can keep some killer red shoes." I mutter. Elena laughs.

"What?" Elena asks in confusion through her laughs. 

"Don't mind me, I'm just the good little witch. If you see my wicked green sister, remind her that the sickly green of her face does not go with those shoes." I say. 

"I'm confused." Elena says.

"Me too." Bonnie says, but looks far too stressed out to really worry about my ramblings. I shrug.