The ash tree.

1692:

I was by the lake, using my powers to make my mothers favorite flowers grow when I heard it. 'Gabrielle...' I faint feminine voice called across the wind. I gasped in surprise, standing up straight and looking around for the voice. 'Gabrielle...' The faint voice whispered once more weakly. I spun around, looking for the inhabitant of the voice. 'Listen to me Gabrielle...' The voice echoed across the trees. 'The white ash tree...' The voice called and my vision blurred at the name.

A clear image floated through my mind of a tree, which I assumed to be a white ash tree. 'Mystic Falls...' She says. "What do you want from me?" I called, lip quivering in fear. "Who are you? Show yourself!" I yelled. I started to run away when I felt as if someone had stabbed me straight through my chest. I screamed out in shock and pain, looking down to see there was nothing there. The pain however went on as I there was.

It felt like my energy, my essence, and my power was being drained from my body slowly and painfully. 'I'm sorry Gabrielle...' The voice whispered. 'The white ash tree...' I screamed out again at the top of my lungs, collapsing to the ground. "Gabrielle?" Came Klaus' voice, calling to me. I trembled, holding my aching ribs and curled into a ball and cried at the pain.

"Make it stop, make it stop." I whimpered. Klaus loomed above me but I wasn't able to see the emotions on his face through my blurred vision.

"What's wrong?" He asked gently, kneeling down next to me. 'Don't tell him...' The voice warned. 'Don't say a word, Gabrielle.' The voice said becoming even sharper.

"Make her stop." I cried in a hoarse voice. He soothed my hair back and picked me up, walking towards the town.

"Who?" he asks softly.

"The voice." I croak out, the pain still wrenching at my gut painfully.

"What is the voice saying?" He asks, his voice suddenly becoming suspicious. I shake my head, not able to respond as the pain intensifies and I cry out once more. He doesn't ask anymore questions after that and takes me back to the tavern. My uncle takes one look at me, shakes his head and tells Klaus to take me upstairs while he gets the doctor.

'Don't tell him...' The voice says once more, sharp and threateningly. 'He will kill you...' The pain starts to calm down just as the doctor walks inside the room.

"Oh dear, what's wrong Gabrielle?" he asks. I manage to sit up, out of breath as the pain subsides.

"I...it was just a really bad stomach ache." I lie. From the look the doctor gives me, I know he doesn't believe me.

"I don't think-" He starts but I turn to Klaus with a pleading expression. He sighs and turns to the doctor, looking him right in the eyes.

"It was just a stomach ache. Go home and tell her uncle it was nothing to worry about." He says, putting the doctor under compulsion. The doctor repeats and leaves. Klaus then turns to me.

"Now what was it really, angel?" he asks, smoothing my hair away from my forehead.

"I don't really know." I say. He gives me a look that states he definitely wasn't taking that as an answer. I sigh and fiddle with my hands.

"There was some kind of voice, a woman's voice talking to me. She was talking about a place called Mystic Falls." I say. His hand against my hair freezes and recoils. His gaze turns cold.

"What else?" He asks in a dangerous voice. Normally I wouldn't have answered to such a scary voice, mostly because I didn't like him thinking he could tell me what to do but I was so tired.