Apologize

My eyes fluttered open as the sound of rushing water filled my ears. At first I was disoriented but slowly I regained full conscioussness. I sat straight up, eyes wide. The sun beat down on me and I coughed, feeling my throats scratchiness from all the water. I closed my eyes tightly as I replayed it all over again and again unable to stop it.

Tears fell down my cheeks and another sob built up in my chest, wracking through me. I hugged my legs to my chest and layed my head down on my knees as I cried. I then suddenly realized all to slowly that Klaus was sitting ten feet away from me, by the water. As if noticing my stare he looked over at me. A small emotion crossed through his eyes but it was gone quickly.

I stood up shakily, wrapping my arms around myself from the cold and started to walk away. Klaus was in front of me in the blink of an eye, stopping me.I ignored him and sniffled, pushing past him. He grabbed onto my wrist and I turned, yanking it away from him. He wanted me to acknolwedge he was here, fine. I would acknowledge he was here.

"Are you happy now?" I whispered, voice cracking. I glared up into his eyes. "Are you thriving off of my terror or my pain? I have a feeling it's both." I stated, shaking my head at him. My lip quivered as another sob threatened to break through. Fresh tears fell down my cheeks, warm against my chilled skin.

"You betrayed me." he whispered, but his voice wasn't so sure. Like suddenly he finally realized what he'd just done. I pushed away from him.

"I had the opportunity to kill you!" I shouted at him. "The second Stefan pulled Damon away, I could've gotten up and stabbed that stake through your heart! But I didn't! I could've killed you, but I didn't Klaus!" I yelled at him. This seemed to take him by surprise. "But maybe that was a mistake." I finished. Something like hurt flashed across his face.

My tears were dripping down my face and one fell and I could hear it as it made contact with Klaus' hand. Suddenly Klaus' entire face changed. He no longer looked angry and hurt and betrayed. Instead his cold eyes softened into something so similar to the old Klaus I used to know that it took me by surprise.

He put a gentle hand to my cheek, wiping away the last of my tears. He cupped my face in his hands gently. I almost gave in, almost forgave him. But I couldn't let myself be walked all over like that. I pulled away from him.

"Don't do that! Don't play mean guy, nice guy! You can do that with everyone else but me got that?" I yelled. He pulled me into his arms, resting his head on top of mine.

"What can I do to get you to forgive me?" He asked, voice full of emotions. Guilt, remorse, sadness, lonliness and hurt. Only a few I could indentify. I took in a steady breath.

"First you need to apologize." I said slowly, trying to calm my tears. He stayed quiet for a moment, obviously trying to either find a way out of apologizing or finding a way to say he was sorry.

"I...I'm sor--r Soorrr....I apologize for my actions." He said slowly. I had to admit, it was slightly amusing to  hear him try to say sorry. But that wasn't enough.

"It has to come from the heart." I said seriously. He sighed and absentmindedly he twirled a strand of my hair around his finger. I stiffened as he did this but he didn't notice and if he did, he decided to ignore it.

"I let my anger get the best of me and I acted rashly. I'm sorrr...I apologize." He said. I hummed to myself, trying to ignore the fact that I was enjoying being in his arms. I needed to hold onto my anger. I was still shaken about what had happened and I hated to admit that I was enjoying being in his arms. I almost felt...safe.

"Closer." I said stubbornly. "Maybe if you were writing an apology for your english class in college it would be believable. Now if you're truly sorry, you'll say exactly what you think." I said seriously. He sighed and I took small satisfaction in knowing he was actually trying to apologize to me.